Director, Pathology Services - Molecular , Anatomic Pathologist
As the Molecular Pathologist and one of our pathologists, you have clinical oversight of Natera’s laboratory testing. You ensure that testing is properly performed, and applicable regulatory standards are met. You are responsible for ensuring that the laboratory implements testing while consistently providing accurate and reliable patient test results. You will also be responsible for the proper maintenance of the histology lab for FFPE tissue block processing, slide staining/coverslipping/scanning, and performance evaluation of the HistoTechs (HTs and/or HTLs) and other lab personnel.
- Review patient specimens prior to testing in collaboration with other applicable stakeholders.
- Review clinical notes (e.g., chief complaint and treatment history) and pathology reports for tumor information (primary location, histologic type and sample location [primary vs metastatic]) and perform tumor circling on H&E slides for molecular testing; and help to identify an alternative optimal FFPE block(s) and/or tumor specimen if the current sample is inadequate.
- Review, approve, and sign-out reports for oncology testing, mainly on NGS platforms, but may also include SNP array analysis and other methodologies.
- Provide clinical and technical support for genetic counselors and other laboratory personnel. Set standards for laboratory testing and acceptable levels of analytic performance and ensure these are maintained.
- Analyze lab data, contribute to or write publications for high-quality scientific journals.
- May serve as Clinical Consultant. The Clinical Consultant is responsible for ensuring:
- the proper utility of our assays including sample selection, and test appropriateness, test reports include pertinent information for test interpretation, and availability for consultation concerning test results and the interpretation of those results as they relate to specific patient conditions.
May serve as Technical Supervisor. The Technical Supervisor is responsible for ensuring:
- appropriate test method selection; adequate method verification to determine the accuracy and precision of the test;enrollment of the laboratory in a CMS-approved proficiency testing (PT) program for the test performed;PT samples are tested in accordance with the CLIA requirements;PT results are returned within the time frames established by the PT program;PT reports are reviewed by the appropriate staff;corrective action plans are followed when PT results are found to be unacceptable or unsatisfactory;quality assessment and quality control programs are established and maintained;acceptable analytical test performance is established and maintained for each test system;remedial actions are taken and documented when significant deviations from the laboratory’s established performance characteristics are identified, and patient test results are reported only when the system is functioning properly;personnel have been appropriately trained and demonstrate competency prior to testing patient specimens;policies and procedures are established for monitoring personnel competency in all phases (preanalytic, analytic, and post-analytic) of testing to assure the ongoing competency of all individuals who perform testing; remedial training or continuing education needs are identified, and training provided; and an approved procedure manual is available to all personnel.
- May manage a team. Review and approve assigned work; mentor and develop personnel, including dedicated succession planning and contingency management.
- This role works with PHI on a regular basis both in paper and electronic form and has an access to various technologies to access PHI (paper and electronic) in order to perform the job.
- Employee must complete training relating to HIPAA/PHI privacy, General Policies and Procedure Compliance training and security training as soon as possible but not later than the first 30 days of hire.
- Must maintain a current status on Natera training requirements.
- MD/DO degree and ABP board-certified/eligible in AP required and eligible for Molecular Genetic Pathology.
- Qualified for unrestricted Medical License to practice in the state of CA (current California Medical License holder preferred)
- Qualified or Current Certificate of Qualification in Genetic Testing from the NYS CLEP required.
- Five or more years of experience in a CLIA-certified clinical laboratory setting analyzing, interpreting and reporting clinical genetic/genomic data (fresh MGP fellowship graduates will be considered as well).
- Knowledge of CAP, CLIA, California, and New York state regulations.
- Management experience required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience leading a laboratory offering prenatal screening and oncology testing and evaluating, interpreting, and reporting out NGS and microarray data.
- Familiarity with next-generation sequencing, and/or knowledge of advanced methods of copy number detection.
- Strong background in human and medical genetics, and oncology with a familiarity of online human genomics.
- Understanding of statistical measures utilized in genetic testing and screening.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Duties typically performed in BSL-2 lab setting.
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary.
- Duties may require working various shifts, weekends, and/or overtime.
Travel required for this position:
No ☐ or Yes ☒ : If yes state anticipated percent for travel: up to 10%
Natera™ is a global leader in cell-free DNA (cfDNA) testing, dedicated to oncology, women’s health, and organ health. Our aim is to make personalized genetic testing and diagnostics part of the standard of care to protect health and enable earlier and more targeted interventions that lead to longer, healthier lives.
The Natera team consists of highly dedicated statisticians, geneticists, doctors, laboratory scientists, business professionals, software engineers and many other professionals from world-class institutions, who care deeply for our work and each other. When you join Natera, you’ll work hard and grow quickly. Working alongside the elite of the industry, you’ll be stretched and challenged, and take pride in being part of a company that is changing the landscape of genetic disease management.
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive Benefits - Employee benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life and disability plans for eligible employees and their dependents. Additionally, Natera employees and their immediate families receive free testing in addition to fertility care benefits. Other benefits include pregnancy and baby bonding leave, 401k benefits, commuter benefits and much more. We also offer a generous employee referral program!
For more information, visit www.natera.com.
Natera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace environment, and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Inclusive collaboration benefits our employees, our community and our patients, and is critical to our mission of changing the management of disease worldwide.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents.
Please be advised that Natera will reach out to candidates with a @natera.com email domain ONLY. Email communications from all other domain names are not from Natera or its employees and are fraudulent. Natera does not request interviews via text messages and does not ask for personal information until a candidate has engaged with the company and has spoken to a recruiter and the hiring team. Natera takes cyber crimes seriously, and will collaborate with law enforcement authorities to prosecute any related cyber crimes.
For more information:
- BBB announcement on job scams
- FBI Cyber Crime resource page
Something looks off?