Manager, Clinical Signatera Laboratory
The Manager, Clinical Lab is a key leader in Natera’s lab operations who oversees and directs the development, planning, implementation and maintenance of manufacturing methods, processes and operations for new or existing products and technologies. The Manager works closely with groups to ensure strict compliance with good manufacturing practices and CLIA/CAP guidelines at all times. Ensures the effective use of materials, equipment and employees in producing quality products. Monitor and control staffing / labor, capital expenditures, and manufacturing performance. Develops budget and monitors expenditures. Formulates and recommends manufacturing policies, procedures and programs. Selects, develops and evaluates line-management to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
- Under direction of Senior lab leadership, and in close collaboration with other Laboratory leadership, this individual provides operational and strategic leadership to laboratory products assigned to the individual
- Generates and routinely provide executive level production/departmental summaries
- Monitors workflow and ensures production goals and deadlines are met (e.g. TAT, SLA)
- Engages in future planning and scales employees and equipment appropriately
- Gathers and monitors metrics on production deadlines, efficiency, scrap waste, and error rates
- Monitors the quality control/assurance programs, test results, and equipment (if applicable)
- Uses metrics in decision-making and to drive changes across the team (e.g. cost reduction, quality improvement)
- Manages sufficient headcount levels to meet production goals by proactively driving the interview process and managing employee PTO and overtime when necessary
- Refines current lab process through continuous improvement projects
- Oversees team specific lab operation
- Go-to person when Senior lab leadership is not present; go-to person for knowledge of process and product.
- Responsible for seamless transition of automation and test improvement/additions into production workflow while adhering to the proper change control process
- Analyzes and troubleshoots lab processing errors; provides recommendations on how to proceed to lab director, scientists and statisticians as necessary
- Supports Supervisors in close out of NCRs
- Responsible for the initiation and close out of CAPAs in a timely manner
- Ensures departmental lab compliance for regulatory bodies
- Ensures tests are being completed according to approved procedures
- Maintains an organized, safe and efficient work area for the team at all times
- Actively interacts with interdepartmental teams such as OPS, Accessioning, Engineering, Stats, R&D, and Support.
- Handles employee issues: complaints, disciplinary actions, etc. Collaborates with Senior Manager and/or Human Resources to resolve issues
- Knows and is ready to explain Natera’s core values.
- Explains (as much as possible) reasoning behind instructions/processes given/changes that are made. If necessary, explains to team why certain ideas cannot be implemented effectively
- Meets regularly with Supervisors to discuss goals and progress
- Performs routine skip-levels with individual team members
- Responsible for performance review of direct reports and overseeing performance review of entire staff
- Plans and leads team meetings
- Develops high-performing employees by providing them with learning opportunities, cross-training opportunities and new challenges whenever possible
- Recognizes and rewards talent through merit reviews, promotions, and recognition programs
- Adheres to Departmental Expectations
- Manages the training program for direct reports
- Notifies management of all requirements for tools, supplies, etc.
- Receives assignments in the form of objectives and determines how to use resources to meet schedules and goals.
- Provides guidance to subordinates within the latitude of established company policies
- Recommends changes to policies and establishes procedures that affect immediate organization(s)
- Manages, perhaps through subordinate supervisors, the coordination of the activities of a section or department with responsibility for results, including costs, methods and staffing. In some instances, this manager may be responsible for a functional area and not have any subordinate employees
- This role works with PHI on a regular basis both in paper and electronic form and have access to various technologies to access PHI (paper and electronic) in order to perform the job
- Employee must complete training relating to HIPAA/PHI privacy, General Policies and Procedure Compliance training and security training as soon as possible but not later than the first 30 days of hire
- Performs other duties as assigned
- BS/BA degree in Biological Sciences, related field, or equivalent
- A minimum of 3+ years of relevant leadership experience and/or effectively managing a team preferred
- A minimum of 5+ years of industry-related experience preferred
- Current ASCP board certification in Medical Technology is required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Exceptional multi-tasking, organizational, and communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Excel and Google Suite
- Strong problem solving and prioritization skills
- Independent self-starter comfortable working in teams at all levels
- Experience in building and managing a high performing group of engaged and motivated employees
- Experience with working on a Laboratory Operations floor
- Knowledge and experience with Lean Six Sigma concepts and tools
- Experience with LIMS and SQL queries preferred
- Manufacturing/Engineering experience preferred
Natera™ is a global leader in cell-free DNA (cfDNA) testing, dedicated to oncology, women’s health, and organ health. Our aim is to make personalized genetic testing and diagnostics part of the standard of care to protect health and enable earlier and more targeted interventions that lead to longer, healthier lives.
The Natera team consists of highly dedicated statisticians, geneticists, doctors, laboratory scientists, business professionals, software engineers and many other professionals from world-class institutions, who care deeply for our work and each other. When you join Natera, you’ll work hard and grow quickly. Working alongside the elite of the industry, you’ll be stretched and challenged, and take pride in being part of a company that is changing the landscape of genetic disease management.
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive Benefits - Employee benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life and disability plans for eligible employees and their dependents. Additionally, Natera employees and their immediate families receive free testing in addition to fertility care benefits. Other benefits include pregnancy and baby bonding leave, 401k benefits, commuter benefits and much more. We also offer a generous employee referral program!
For more information, visit www.natera.com.
Natera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace environment, and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Inclusive collaboration benefits our employees, our community and our patients, and is critical to our mission of changing the management of disease worldwide.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents.
Please be advised that Natera will reach out to candidates with a @natera.com email domain ONLY. Email communications from all other domain names are not from Natera or its employees and are fraudulent. Natera does not request interviews via text messages and does not ask for personal information until a candidate has engaged with the company and has spoken to a recruiter and the hiring team. Natera takes cyber crimes seriously, and will collaborate with law enforcement authorities to prosecute any related cyber crimes.
For more information:
- BBB announcement on job scams
- FBI Cyber Crime resource page
Something looks off?