Automation Engineer I
Our Mission is to Map the Universe of Biology.
Improving the human condition is what fuels our passion for finding new ways of enabling scientific exploration. As a company, we strive to create end-to-end solutions that are simpler, easier, faster and more relevant to today’s life science challenges.
As the pioneer in the field of spatial biology, NanoString enables scientists across the globe to envision molecular interactions in three dimensions with three different systems, the nCounter® Analysis System, the GeoMx® Digital Spatial Profiler (DSP) and the CosMx™ Spatial Molecular Imager (SMI) platform. As a result, scientists can see the multiomic expression of genes and proteins in the natural context of tissue structure.
Since our founding in 2003, we have earned a reputation as a respected, trusted pioneer of innovative technologies that support our customers in their relentless pursuit of answers. Our products are based on a novel digital molecular barcoding technology invented at the Institute for Systems Biology (ISB) in Seattle under the direction of Dr. Leroy Hood.
With our technologies, our customers continue to extend our understanding of biology to answer previously unsolvable questions with consistent, reliable results.
However, NanoString is much more than innovative products. The secret sauce to the company’s success is our people, who are committed to excellence and dedicated to catalyzing the next biological revolution. Collectively, we live our corporate values of ambition, grit, ingenuity, authenticity, and customers every day…and never stop asking “What if?”Job Summary:
The Molecular Biology Manufacturing Science & Technology (MSAT) Automation Engineer I is responsible for understanding existing database structures that support molecular biology workflows in NanoString, and maintaining those processes with direction. As an Automation Engineer I, you will aid in transferring these processes to the Manufacturing environment by drafting process documentation and producing supporting data for transfer. Additional duties include project-based work to support research and development, testing of automation methods and systems to support existing research projects, and familiarization with new NanoString products and processes that may require transfer. This position will report to the Bothell North Creek manufacturing site, with minimal travel (<10%) to Seattle South Lake Union as needed.
- Maintain and support equipment and systems with emphasis on database administration
- Engage and work with system vendors during development, testing, and implementation
- Assist in the development of new manufacturing methods, equipment, and systems
- Assist in the documentation, testing, and verification/validation of new methods, equipment, and systems as necessary
- Support pilot production runs
- Assist with root cause investigations into issues
- Work with other R&D or manufacturing personnel to develop and implement process improvements
• A 2-year degree in a Life Science related discipline, or, a 2-year degree in an engineering-related discipline with at least 1-year in the Life Science industries (Pharmaceuticals, Biotechnology, CRO/CMO, etc.)
o An advanced degree may be considered in lieu of years of experience
• At least 1 year of experience developing, testing, and maintaining automated systems in a manufacturing, research, or academic environment
• Experience maintaining, and repairing automated laboratory equipment
• Experience communicating with external contractors, internal stakeholders, and service technicians regarding instrumentation issues, needs, or requirements
• Familiarity with programming languages such as Python, VBA, C#, and SQL
• Familiarity implementing and maintaining internal company LIMS websites using established frameworks and databases (Apache Services, Django, postGREs, sqLite, MySQL)
• Familiarity with standard Molecular Biology techniques (pipetting, PCR, UV-Vis) and liquid-handling equipment (Hamilton Robot Suite, Tecan, Dynamic Devices Lynx.)
• Mechanical aptitude and willingness to troubleshoot unfamiliar instrumentation with the aid of remote assistance
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and meet defined deadlines
• Proven ability to work as part of a project team and independently with minimal supervision
- A 2-year degree in a Life Science related discipline (Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, etc.), or, a 2-year degree in an engineering-related discipline (Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, etc.) with supporting course work or work experience in the Life Science industries (Pharmaceuticals, Biotechnology, CRO/CMO, etc.) An advanced degree may be considered in lieu of years of experience
- Experience with Django framework and/or LIMS API integrations with automation equipment:
- Experience with label printing, and RFID tagging
- Experience with 3D Printing (MakerBot, FormLabs) or 3D CAD drafting (Solidworks)
Target Base Salary Range:
Base salary is an integral part of NanoString’s total compensation package. Base salary considers an individual’s skills, experience, and competitive market value. The base salary range represent what NanoString pays for a job within a salary grade based on external market data in comparison to similar positions from other companies in our industry. Employees generally enter a salary grade at the lower-to-mid-point in the range.
Other compensation elements include a discretionary annual bonus, incentive compensation for sales roles, Restricted Stock Unit (RSU) grants for all new hires, comprehensive benefit plans and paid time off, including designated holidays.
NanoString is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. NanoString does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that it does not have a signed agreement with.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: NanoString has a COVID-19 vaccination policy that applies to ALL U.S. employees (regardless of work location), onsite contractors and visitors except as prohibited by applicable law. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination within 31 days of their hiring date or have applied for an exemption for which an accommodation can be made. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final (or only) dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Exemptions will be considered for medical conditions/disabilities and sincerely held religious beliefs, observations, or practices. For any visitor coming onsite to one of NanoString’s facilities, we must verify that the visitor is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to site entry and visitors must don a face mask at all times when onsite in a NanoString facility.
If you require assistance or accommodation when applying for open positions please contact email@example.com.