Scientist - Stem Cells
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2023
London, White City
Salary: £30,000-£45,000 + stock options, depending on experience
You rarely get the chance to change an entire industry. But that's the position we find ourselves in. We’re developing a machine that totally automates mammalian cell culture - one of the most painful but important processes in biology.
Cells are crucial for biotech and pharma: they are used to discover and develop new drugs, AND they enable cutting-edge cancer cell therapies. Mytos has the potential to impact therapy development across the board.
We’ve assembled a world-class team to take on this challenge, with ex-Dyson engineers and Nature-published scientists working hand-in-hand. You can learn more about your potential Mytos teammates here: Team
Mytos is backed by Y Combinator, the most successful startup program in the world which produced companies such as AirBnb, Dropbox, and Ginkgo Bioworks.
We are looking for a high-growth scientist to join our biology team and push the limits of different cell lines, including human pluripotent stem cells (PSC), workflows we can automate. This is a unique opportunity to learn how to execute projects at the interface of engineering and biology.
We believe in autonomy, and you should expect to run your own projects and attempt to overcome hurdles you encounter, with team members always available to advise as you require.
You will be interfacing with multiple disciplines, such as hardware/software engineers, so expect to have the opportunity to learn about these different areas too.
- Characterising how different approaches to automation impact cancer cell lines and human PSC (iPSC lines or ESC).
- Work in multidisciplinary teams to solve complex cross-discipline problems.
- Developing and validating methods to automate human PSC on our devices. This includes planning, executing and analyzing relevant experiments.
- Perform biological assays to assess cell quality.
- Troubleshooting experiments and identifying abnormal or unexpected trends in data; offering suggestions of the root cause(s).
- Occasional weekend work may be required.
- Customer interaction and collaborative work with customers is expected. Traveling to customer sites (national and international) may be occasionally required.
We would love to hear from you if you have
- M.Sc. or PhD in Molecular and Cell Biology or related area
- Hands-on experience with undifferentiated human PSC culture, maintenance and characterization. Preferably using feeder-free conditions and experience with multiple cell lines.
- Robust experimental design and data analysis capabilities
- Experience with molecular and cell biology techniques, such as DNA/RNA isolation, RT-PCR, qPCR, immunostaining, image analysis, and flow cytometry
- Experience with iPSCs differentiation protocols is a plus
- Competitive salary with stock options
- Collaborative team environment with very high potential to learn new skills
Our solutions are going to transform the way every biotech works. Join us and help us get there!