Senior Mechanical Engineer
About Multiply Labs
At Multiply Labs, our mission is to be the gold standard technology for the manufacturing of individualized drugs. We develop advanced, cloud-controlled robotic systems to enable the industrial scale production of medicines that are tailored to the needs of each patient. Founded by two PhDs at MIT, our expertise and approach is pushing boundaries at the intersection of robotics and biopharma. Our talented, collaborative team includes mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, computer scientists, software engineers and pharmaceutical scientists. We are a Series A-funded startup based in San Francisco and backed by top-tier tech and life sciences investors, including Casdin Capital, Lux Capital, Y Combinator, and Pathfinder (Founders Fund’s early stage investment vehicle). To learn more and to view a video of our robots in action, visit us at: www.multiplylabs.com
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer on the Multiply Labs team, you will apply your engineering expertise and technical leadership skills to design complex automated machinery involved in the manufacturing of novel pharmaceutical products. Our team-oriented work environment provides in-house access to a wide range of state-of-the-art prototyping and fabrication equipment, extensive engineering material and component inventory to experiment and build with, personalized CAD workstation, and multiple workspaces that foster creativity and collaboration. This position may also involve the selection and integration of electromechanical actuators, controls, sensors, and microcontrollers.
- Proficiency with 3D CAD software, including modeling and creation of detailed drawings.
- Extensive mechanical design experience developing production ready machine designs from basic ideas and concepts, including starting from a ‘blank sheet’.
- Proven ability to solve complex technical problems by breaking them down into simpler pieces and executable tasks.
- Working knowledge of mechanical components, common engineering metals, plastics, joining methods, part fabrication methods, and finishing operations.
- Ability to safely and effectively use hand tools, power tools, rapid prototyping equipment, basic machine shop fabrication equipment, and precision measurement tools.
Additional Qualifications – Considered a plus:
- Experience designing and building automated production machinery for an FDA regulated industry.
- Industrial experience developing robot EOATs, work cell fixtures, or material handling systems.
- Demonstratable proficiency operating machine shop equipment to fabricate high precision parts.
- Working knowledge of ASME Y14.5-2009 GD&T standard.
- Experience designing injection molded parts, qualifying mold tooling, and selecting plastic resins.
- Experience designing machine power distribution and control cabinets.
- Candidates must be a self-starter comfortable working in a fast paced technically challenging startup company environment.
- Candidates must be very organized, and detail oriented.
- Candidates must be able to handle multiple project and task assignments simultaneously.
- Candidates must be able to clearly express their ideas and design details in meetings, team presentations, white board brainstorming sessions, and in various technical documentation.
- Candidates must be able, when necessary, to provide effective leadership of engineering peers and more junior engineers while working together on major projects.