Software Engineer III/IV
At insitro, we're transforming the pace and success of drug discovery by seamlessly integrating biology, lab automation, and machine learning. As a member of our imaging software team, you will play a pivotal role in this transformation.
Software engineering is essential in insitro's approach to rethinking drug development. Central to insitro's thesis is our ability to integrate rich datasets across modalities. From live cell imaging to single-cell RNA sequencing to DNA encoded libraries, insitro generates a diverse and ever-growing torrent of data. The imaging software team develops the data generation, quality control, and data pipeline stack that produces the actionable imaging datasets and repeatable analyses driving our target and drug discovery efforts.
In this role, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining the data generation, quality control, and data pipeline stack that produces our imaging datasets. You will also play a crucial role in ensuring the integrity and usability of our imaging data and in developing visualization tools to support our scientific workflows. To achieve this, you will collaborate closely with machine learning scientists, biologists, software and hardware engineers, and other team members to design and implement a cohesive data ingestion, transformation, and exploration platform. The imaging software team plays a few significant roles at insitro, including:
- Ensuring scalable data generation using novel imaging techniques - all towards our goal of creating the rich, diverse datasets that fuel our drug discovery efforts
- Data processing and quality control. The team plays a central role in ensuring the integrity and usability of our imaging data. Given that imaging is one of many data modalities at insitro, our imaging datasets must be not only actionable and accessible but also seamlessly integrated with other data modalities such as transcriptomics.
- Visualization. As we push the boundaries of imaging techniques, there is a corresponding need for novel ways to visualize our data. The imaging software team is vital in developing these tools and enabling novel scientific workflows.
Your work will contribute to enabling science at scale. You will be part of a team pushing the boundaries of what is possible in drug development.
Examples of what you will be working on
- Expanding the capability of our on-microscope image acquisition software. This involves improving existing functionality and introducing new features to keep us at the cutting edge of imaging technology.
- Architecting the data pipelines and models that enable us to construct and explore multi-modal datasets such as RNA sequencing data coupled with cellular microscopy
- Building our next generation of viewers and a robust quality control platform. These tools are essential for ensuring the integrity of our data and facilitating its interpretation and use in our research.
We will support you by
- Placing a high degree of trust in your ideas and execution
- Bringing you up to speed in the domain of drug development
- Strive to provide a low-stress work environment
- Emphasizing a culture of growth and mentorship
- Making ourselves available for collaboration
- Caring about you as a whole person - not a resource
- Being a well funded startup with conservative runway
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- You have 2+ years of software development experience. While we primarily use Python, we welcome experience with other programming languages.
- You're eager to work directly with scientists. You understand the value of interdisciplinary collaboration in advancing scientific research.
- You're familiar with AWS (or GCP/Azure), relational databases, writing design docs, version control, doing code reviews
- You've had the opportunity to work with biological or microscopy datasets.
- You've been involved in building or maintaining data and machine learning pipelines.
- You're familiar with pyramidal file formats, such as Zarr.
- You've used or developed visualization tools for microscopy, like Napari or vitessce.
Experience with our stack: AWS, python, SQLAlchemy, PostgreSQL, Docker, ray, and workflow engines such as redun.
Compensation & Benefits at insitro
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role is $130,000 - $170,000. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate's skills, education and experience, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data.
This role is eligible for participation in our Annual Performance Bonus Plan (based on company targets by role level and annual company performance) and our Equity Incentive Plan, subject to the terms of those plans and associated policies.
In addition, insitro also provides our employees:
- 401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees on our base plans), as well as mental health and well-being support
- Open, flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly budget for books and online courses for self-development
- Support to occasionally attend professional conferences that are meaningful to your career growth and development
- New hire stipend for home office setup
- Monthly cell phone & internet stipend
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits
insitro is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
We believe diversity, equity, and inclusion need to be at the foundation of our culture. We work hard to bring together diverse teams–grounded in a wide range of expertise and life experiences–and work even harder to ensure those teams thrive in inclusive, growth-oriented environments supported by equitable company and team practices. All candidates can expect equitable treatment, respect, and fairness throughout the interview process.