Senior / Staff Software Engineer, Compute Core
Software engineering plays a key role in insitro's approach to rethinking drug development. The Compute Core software engineering team designs and oversees the computing platform that powers our biological data factory's robots, instruments, and machine learning efforts. This platform functions as the backbone of all computing at insitro, and hence it must be reliable, accessible, secure, scalable, and cost-effective.
As a member of the Compute Core team, you will work closely with a cross-functional team of scientists, bioengineers, and data scientists to identify areas where novel data engineering solutions enhance our ability to search for new therapeutics. You will design software and develop data architectures on high-throughput platforms that enable our scientists to be maximally productive.
In this role, you will frequently collaborate with other machine learning and software engineering teams to optimize the performance of scientific workflows and devise automated pipelines for their execution. Your daily responsibilities will include designing and deploying cloud infrastructure, such as managed databases, application servers, and batch computing environments. You will also be involved in writing and/or deploying software solutions to facilitate accessing and using these resources. This includes crafting systems to improve the observability, security, and cost-efficiency of all computing endeavors.
In short, as a member of the Compute Core team, you will constantly be presented with novel challenges, and you will have the opportunity to make an impact on every computing effort ongoing at insitro!
- 4+ years of experience building and maintaining software solutions on public cloud platforms
- Experience writing software in one or more languages (Python preferred)
- Experience architecting reliable computing infrastructure including scalable services, performance monitoring and alerting, and redundant systems
- Expertise working within a Linux environment (writing shell scripts and basic system administration)
- Experience with container-based platforms like Docker and Kubernetes
- Proficiency with infrastructure management tools such as Terraform or SaltStack
- Skill with version control tools and other engineering best practices
- Ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds and job functions
The Wish List
- Experience automating software development processes including data transfers and build systems
- Experience with managing medium to large-sized data sets (100TB+) in cloud storage systems
- Knowledge of observability and profiling tools to optimize production workflows
- Experience with high-performance computing or batch computing systems such as AWS Batch and SLURM
- Experience with biological, microscopy, and/or chemical datasets
- Experience defining and implementing infrastructure following compliance guidelines (HIPAA, GDPR, ISO 27001, etc.)
- A deep desire to make a difference in the world!
Compensation & Benefits at insitro
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role is $180,000 - $230,000. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate’s skills, education and experience, the level at which they are actually hired, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data.
This role is eligible for participation in our Annual Performance Bonus Plan (based on company targets by role level and annual company performance) and our Equity Incentive Plan, subject to the terms of those plans and associated policies.
In addition, insitro also provides our employees:
- 401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees), as well as mental health and well-being support
- Open, flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly budget for books and online courses for self-development
- Support to occasionally attend professional conferences that are meaningful to your career growth and development
- New hire stipend for home office setup
- Monthly cell phone & internet stipend
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits