Senior Automation Engineer
About Hexagon Bio:
Hexagon Bio leverages a genomics-based platform and understanding of natural product evolution to develop next-generation medicines for human disease. Hexagon Bio's algorithms identify gene clusters that encode the machinery needed to produce specialized metabolites that can be harnessed against human disease targets. Our unique platform allows us to produce new chemical leads based on these findings. We use data science, genomics, synthetic biology, and automation to discover potent, evolutionarily refined small molecules and their cognate targets from fungal genomes, and apply medicinal chemistry when needed to optimize these molecules into truly transformative medicines.
Location: Menlo Park, CA
As a Senior Automation Engineer, you will be primarily responsible for supporting our fleet of Hamilton liquid handlers. The Automation Team works with every team at Hexagon to increase throughput and reliability of their processes. These processes include basic molecular biology, solvent-based chemistry, and proprietary processes for environmental sample sequencing. You will interface with the scientists who run these processes, design and build robotic solutions for them, and validate those solutions to ensure they work efficiently. Almost every project will involve different scientific disciplines and instrumentation.
- Independently design, write, and validate automated protocols on Hamilton STARs, as well as other lab instrumentation.
- Maintain thorough documentation of all projects to assist the others in our team when supporting your projects.
- Respond to issues or questions in the lab in a timely manner during regular business hours.
- Participate in regular code reviews with the rest of the Automation team.
- Interface with various scientific teams at Hexagon to help identify where we can improve their workflows.
- Stay up to date with the latest lab automation news and products to be able to help guide Hexagon appropriately.
- Assist with automation training of new employees, as well as helping to communicate and monitor new policies in the lab.
- B.S. or higher in a scientific or engineering discipline
- 5+ years of experience performing assay automation on Hamilton STAR-line instrumentation
- Exposure to any of the following is a plus
- Biotek MultiFlo and/or plate washer
- Cellink IDot
- Formulatrix Tempest
- LabCyte Echo
- BioFluidix BioSpot
- HighRes Cellario integration software
- Exposure to basic molecular biology principles
- Programming experience is a plus, particularly Python or C#
- Ability to follow oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment and prioritize responsibilities
- Available to work full time, on site in Menlo Park, California
What We Offer:
- A dynamic work environment where you pave your own path, Hexagon cultivates employees' unique strengths at all levels and provides mobility across departments.
- Monthly “All Hands Meetings” provide an opportunity to share company and team updates. These meetings are rooted in our value of transparency. They are designed to foster a culture of collaboration, curiosity, and open communication.
- Competitive compensation and a robust benefits package: a comprehensive suite of medical, dental, and vision insurance plans through TriNet, which offers additional voluntary benefits (pet insurance, accident insurance, home & auto insurance, and more).
- Equity and a 401(k) plan.
- Rapid career advancement for driven performers.
- Access to scientific conferences all over the country throughout the year.
- A range of amenities, courtesy of the Menlo Park Labs business park, including shuttle, gym, rock-climbing wall, pool, sports courts, cafe, bike lockers, and free EV charging stations.
- Opportunities to engage with the Hexagon community through team-building events like our monthly Hexagon Happy Hour and holiday parties.
The salary range for this full-time position is $140,000 to $180,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across California locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
Hexagon Bio is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.