Director, Business Development, Cell Engineering
Sales & Business Development
Boston, MA, USA · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2023
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms.
The Cell Engineering Business Development team focuses on exploring and expanding the applications of Ginkgo’s platform in Nutrition & Wellness, Agriculture and various Industrial sectors. We build partnerships that reflect the business objectives. The business development team is an integral part of a cross-functional team, including marketing, technical, deal transaction, IP and legal teams, that drive collaborations from conception, through negotiation and, ultimately, to signing and hand-off for implementation.
As a member of the Cell Engineering Business Development team you are responsible for identifying areas and partners where our platform, in collaborations with partners, can address gaps in the industrial biotech space, particularly with key expandable accounts with unmet needs in material science and related sustainability objectives. You will conceptualize partnership frameworks, be responsible for shepherding deals to signing and be an ambassador of Ginkgo to the industry.
- Accountable for deal targets for a sub-vertical within the Cell Engineering BD team
- Build and manage enterprise account strategy for multiple Industrial Biotech partners and cultivate new research collaboration deal opportunities
- Identify new business opportunity areas, supported by market landscape assessments including key market needs, sustainability objectives and current participant capabilities to shape Ginkgo’s partnership strategy
- Lead collaboration discussions and deal negotiations with potential partners in collaboration with broader commercial team
- Support and mentor BD team members on deal structuring and negotiations
- Travel, as necessary, for conferences or partner meetings
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in a science or engineering discipline; a Business degree will be a plus
- Minimum of 8 years depending on education and experience. Minimum of 12 years with Bachelors only
- Business development experience with deal sheet including research collaborations with industrial companies; preference for sell-side business development experience to large organizations
- Learning agility to understand Ginkgo platform and pitch new applications in Industrial Biotech
- Strong analytical skills, with an ability to develop fact-based business cases and informed opinions
- Passion for collaboration and significant experience in relationship-building, and leveraging and converting market knowledge and relationships into business opportunities
- Excellent communication skills, emotional intelligence and an ability to work across organizational boundaries
- Title/level will be based on your experience and education
Total compensation for this role is market driven, with a starting salary of $175,000+, as well as company stock awards. Base pay is ultimately determined based on a candidate's skills, expertise, and experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental & vision coverage, health spending accounts, voluntary benefits, leave of absence policies, Employee Assistance Program, 8 paid holidays in addition to a full-week winter shutdown and unlimited Paid Time Off policy.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
What is it really like to take your company public via a SPAC? One Boston biotech shares its journey (Fortune)
Ginkgo Bioworks resizes the definition of going big in biotech, raising $2.5B in a record SPAC deal that weighs in with a whopping $15B-plus valuation (Endpoints News)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.
See more open positions at Ginkgo Bioworks
Something looks off?