Manager, Strategic Finance
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2023
Ginkgo Bioworks is a publicly traded (NYSE: $DNA), high-growth biotechnology company based in Boston’s Seaport District, that is redesigning the living world to solve some of the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, material, and more. Our mission to “make biology easier to engineer” is poised to disrupt multiple industries by leveraging our innovative data, automation, and scale capabilities in biological engineering.
Ginkgo believes that if we are to grow a thriving, sustainable bioeconomy, we must also grow a new market in biosecurity. Our biosecurity and public health initiative, Concentric by Ginkgo, launched a nationwide emergency response to the COVID-19 pandemic, providing end-to-end pathogen monitoring services to schools, communities, and travelers. As we continue to scale Concentric, our work is also evolving into new and exciting directions, from global expansion to the integration of new technologies and capabilities, including our Traveler-Based Genomic Surveillance Plan with the CDC.
The Manager of Strategic Finance will report to the Associate Director of Strategic Finance and be responsible for all pricing related activities. Ideally, they will serve as the “insights engine” across Concentrics full P&L, including Opex management & investment decisions.
- Responsible for strategic pricing initiatives including, but not limited to: new business deal models and existing contract modifications (both International contracts and United States Government contracts) that ensure cross-functional alignment in order to achieve profitability goals
- Work closely with Business Partners (primarily Business Development, Operations, & Government contracting teams) to drive transparency and accountability with the goal of achieving Concentrics long term strategy through proactive day-to-day decision support
- Partner with the Associate Director of Strategic Finance to lead analyses, financial modeling, and reporting to create new business insights that will help drive Concentrics strategic vision
- Help drive process improvements across responsible areas in partnership with business leaders
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- 5-8 years finance/ accounting experience, with minimum 2 years managerial experience
- 2+ years of previous experience influencing senior level Business Partners without authority, by utilizing data, metrics, and past performance to inform decisions
- Ability to solve problems and think creatively – capacity to provide pragmatic solutions and have the drive and leadership to implement ideas through to successful conclusion
Preferred Capabilities and Experience
- Experience working with United States Government and International entities
- Experience is Biosecurity adjacent industries (e.g. Cyber Security)
Total compensation for this role is market driven, with a starting salary of $90k+, as well as company stock awards. Base pay is ultimately determined based on a candidate's skills, expertise, and experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental & vision coverage, health spending accounts, voluntary benefits, leave of absence policies, Employee Assistance Program, 401(k) program with employer contribution, 8 paid holidays in addition to a full-week winter shutdown and unlimited Paid Time Off policy.
Note on culture: Concentric by Ginkgo is a high energy, positive and fast paced environment where new challenges and opportunities arise every day, so this opportunity is ideal for people who thrive in those kinds of environments, and for people who like lots of variety in their day. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. The team is motivated by doing high impact work in service to society. To get a sense of the culture at Ginkgo, read some articles in Grow by Ginkgo, the company magazine we produce, which tells the story of synthetic biology in a Ginkgo-authentic way.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
What is it really like to take your company public via a SPAC? One Boston biotech shares its journey (Fortune)
Ginkgo Bioworks resizes the definition of going big in biotech, raising $2.5B in a record SPAC deal that weighs in with a whopping $15B-plus valuation (Endpoints News)
Ginkgo Bioworks Provides Support on Process Optimization to Moderna for COVID-19 Response (PRNewswire)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.
See more open positions at Ginkgo Bioworks
Something looks off?