Director, Technical Accounting
IT, Accounting & Finance
Boston, MA, USA · Remote
Posted on Friday, May 5, 2023
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms.
Ginkgo Finance is entering its next phase as a public company on this very exciting journey of rapid growth and industry-disrupting technologies. Now that Ginkgo has completed its public offering (Q4 2021), adopted two impactful accounting standards (CECL and Leasing, 2022) and finished its first year as a large-accelerated filer subject to reporting of our internal controls over financial reporting (2022), the Accounting, Reporting & Controllership (ARC) organization is campaigning to in-source senior level expertise across various disciplines which had been previously outsourced.
If you have demonstrated strength in the world of technical accounting and controllership, we would love to connect with you. Our current team includes the best of the best - starting with strong seniors and analysts led by the most innovative of executive-level directors and vice presidents. Collectively we’ve designed our various individual accounting organizations (revenue, fixed asset & lease, employee compensation and benefits, etc.) and related policies, procedures and objectives. Now is the time to build out our new layer of talented senior-level leadership to put their fingerprint on these organizations and make them their own.
We are a very inclusive team, passionate about our careers and dedicated to being part of something significant. If this sounds like the right opportunity for you, please apply! Curious? Let’s have a conversation.
This is the ideal role for an accountant with exceptional strength in knowledge of US GAAP, IFRS, AICPA and/or SEC guidelines most common with an entity like Ginkgo. Examples include revenue recognition, other assets and deferred costs, fair value measurements, consolidation principles inclusive of variable interest entities, investment valuation and accounting (including equity method investments), and stock based compensation.
When we say “strength in knowledge” that is two-fold. First, ability to accurately interpret the complex and often not-intuitive principles within the guidelines and second, a natural interest, eagerness and curiosity needed to properly apply those principles to day-to-day business transactions. Complimenting your superior technical skills, you must have an ability to easily and concisely communicate the rules when consulted by Ginkgo’s cross-functional executive pool. This is a high-visibility role and one in which a technical accountant, a role historically thought of as administrative or tactical in nature, can have significant and direct impact on steering the company’s future.
- Accounting policies leader - owner of the population of all accounting and other financial process-related policies through close collaboration with the Corporate Controller and Director of External Reporting.
- Design policy content through research of all industry-appropriate literature and effective documentation, publication and training in a customized format. Ginkgo policies are much more than citations or recaps of the corresponding literature. Instead, Ginkgo guidance is presented with a broader user in mind with case-studies and graphical representations of how the literature is interpreted for Ginkgo-specifically.
- Design and execution of various training programs for ARC specific team members as well as cross-functional internal and external stakeholders.
- Accessibility for on-call consultations is critical to ensure transparency in communications of status among stakeholders, as you will likely be one of the earlier team members in Finance to become aware of future transaction potential. This brings a responsibility to openly, yet discretely and compliantly, share such intel with other teams including legal, tax, accounting, as well as the Corporate Controller, Chief Accounting Officer, and Chief Financial Officer, accordingly.
- For unique transactions where policy alone does not address all elements of the accounting guidance, you would be responsible for ensuring completion and review/ approval of a corresponding accounting white paper to be authored by the finance team member closest to the matter (e.g., the Director of Revenue is accountable for all transactions with customers).
- Finally, you will also be entrusted with performing active oversight on teams and processes to ensure all Ginkgo internal controls over financial reporting which pertain to policies, procedures and approvals for complex accounting conclusions.
- Primary accountant for complex areas of Ginkgo’s ledger - this role also provides an opportunity to own and manage certain discrete areas of the balance sheet as part of ARC’s fiscal closing and reporting cycles. This includes evidencing the calculation, journalization and reporting of specific areas of the ledger, including debt and equity financial instruments or other forms of investments and intangibles.
- While this is an individual contributor role, you would maintain oversight of external support i.e. subject matter experts including accounting or advisory teams, valuation experts, forensic accountants, etc.
- Ability to be an active stakeholder in new system or application implementations which includes working across functions to be clear on downstream requirements while also anticipating and preventing unintended issues.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance with an active Certified Public Accounting (CPA) license
- 10+ years of technical accounting experience
- 3+ years working directly with US GAAP interpretive activities (including research of various regulatory accounting materials, drafting and explaining accounting interpretations and effective, practical application of such guidance to the business and transactions)
- Expert and detailed operational knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word/Excel) and/or Google’s suite of offerings (i.e. Docs/Sheets)
Preferred Capabilities and Experience
- MSA or MBA degree
- Experience in a public company accounting and reporting environment (i.e. via an audit/ assurance role within a large public accounting firm such as one of the Big 4 firms)
- Working knowledge of Oracle NetSuite, Workday, Coupa, Blackline, and Adaptive tools
- Prior experience reviewing and/or supervising a global team which operates differently for US GAAP vs. local statutory purposes
Total compensation for this role is market driven, with a starting salary of $175,000 +, as well as company stock awards. Base pay is ultimately determined based on a candidate's skills, expertise, and experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental & vision coverage, health spending accounts, voluntary benefits, leave of absence policies, Employee Assistance Program, 401(k) program with employer contribution, 8 paid holidays in addition to a full-week winter shutdown and unlimited Paid Time Off policy.
To learn more about Ginkgo, visit www.ginkgobioworks.com/press/ or check out some curated press below:
What is it really like to take your company public via a SPAC? One Boston biotech shares its journey (Fortune)
Ginkgo Bioworks resizes the definition of going big in biotech, raising $2.5B in a record SPAC deal that weighs in with a whopping $15B-plus valuation (Endpoints News)
Ginkgo Bioworks Provides Support on Process Optimization to Moderna for COVID-19 Response (PRNewswire)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.
See more open positions at Ginkgo Bioworks
Something looks off?