Senior Associate, Commercial Operations
Posted on Wednesday, April 5, 2023
Ginkgo Bioworks is a publicly traded (NYSE: $DNA), high-growth biotechnology company based in Boston’s Seaport District, that is redesigning the living world to solve some of the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, material, and more. Our mission to “make biology easier to engineer” is poised to disrupt multiple industries by leveraging our innovative data, automation, and scale capabilities in biological engineering.
Ginkgo believes that if we are to grow a thriving, sustainable bioeconomy, we must also grow a new market in biosecurity. Our biosecurity and public health initiative, Concentric by Ginkgo, launched a nationwide emergency response to the COVID-19 pandemic, providing end-to-end pathogen monitoring services to schools, communities, and travelers. As we continue to scale Concentric, our work is also evolving into new and exciting directions, from global expansion to the integration of new technologies and capabilities, including our Traveler-Based Genomic Surveillance Plan with the CDC.
- Business Development:
- Develop and convert customer pipeline, including identification of new opportunities within and across customer segments
- Develop strategy for key market verticals
- Program Operations:
- Lead commercial operations for large scale biosecurity programs
- Project manage and launch large scale programs, including pilot design and full scale execution of biosecurity programs. This will require assessment of customer testing needs, planning of delivery operations approach, and coordination of various cross-functional resources
- Plan scale-up and drive operational excellence with individual clients. This will involve strong stakeholder management, a broad understanding of operations strategies, and detailed planning for high scale biosecurity implementation
- Support and coordinate ongoing operational delivery with third-party partners and internal partners, and field, troubleshoot and escalate client concerns as they arise
- Track quantitative and qualitative metrics to identify areas for improvement and prioritize problems to solve
- Tackle the most urgent and immediate problems facing the project as a whole
- Support special projects, as requested
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- 1-2 years of consulting experience at a top consulting organization
Preferred Capabilities and Experience
- MBA or advanced degree in Sciences, Public Health or Public Policy
- 2-3 years of biology, chemistry, biotechnology, public health, or other scientific experience (in business or technical role)
- Proven track record of project ownership and/or project management and results orientation in a team setting
- Strong analytical skills, with an ability to develop fact-based and informed opinions
- Experience visualizing and interpreting data for a non-technical audience
- Excellent communication skills, emotional intelligence and an ability to work across organizational boundaries
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and mobilize people across the organization, and to learn quickly and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient financial acumen
- Experience managing or coordinating small teams (3 to 7 people) for project execution
Total compensation for this role is market driven, with a starting salary of $70,000+, as well as company stock awards. Base pay is ultimately determined based on a candidate's skills, expertise, and experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental & vision coverage, health spending accounts, voluntary benefits, leave of absence policies, Employee Assistance Program, 401(k) program with employer contribution, 8 paid holidays in addition to a full-week winter shutdown and unlimited Paid Time Off policy.
Note on culture: Concentric by Ginkgo is a high energy, positive and fast paced environment where new challenges and opportunities arise every day, so this opportunity is ideal for people who thrive in those kinds of environments, and for people who like lots of variety in their day. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. The team is motivated by doing high impact work in service to society. To get a sense of the culture at Ginkgo, read some articles in Grow by Ginkgo, the company magazine we produce, which tells the story of synthetic biology in a Ginkgo-authentic way.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
What is it really like to take your company public via a SPAC? One Boston biotech shares its journey (Fortune)
Ginkgo Bioworks resizes the definition of going big in biotech, raising $2.5B in a record SPAC deal that weighs in with a whopping $15B-plus valuation (Endpoints News)
Ginkgo Bioworks Provides Support on Process Optimization to Moderna for COVID-19 Response (PRNewswire)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.
See more open positions at Ginkgo Bioworks
Something looks off?