Director of Business Intelligence
Sales & Business Development, Operations, Data Science
Posted on Wednesday, April 5, 2023
Ginkgo Bioworks is a publicly traded (NYSE: $DNA), high-growth biotechnology company based in Boston’s Seaport District, that is redesigning the living world to solve some of the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, material, and more. Our mission to “make biology easier to engineer” is poised to disrupt multiple industries by leveraging our innovative data, automation, and scale capabilities in biological engineering.
Ginkgo believes that if we are to grow a thriving, sustainable bioeconomy, we must also grow a new market in biosecurity. Our biosecurity and public health initiative, Concentric by Ginkgo, launched a nationwide emergency response to the COVID-19 pandemic, providing end-to-end pathogen monitoring services to schools, communities, and travelers. As we continue to scale Concentric, our work is also evolving into new and exciting directions, from global expansion to the integration of new technologies and capabilities, including our Traveler-Based Genomic Surveillance Plan with the CDC.
To help facilitate the Concentric initiative – and help drive our biosecurity work forward – we’re looking for a talented Director of Business Intelligence. With your expertise, you’ll lead a team to build our Concentric reporting products that brings biosurveillance testing to the next level, with optimized testing programs that work across test modalities and a growing lab network. You’ll collaborate with a team of talented and diverse engineers, product managers, designers, and experts in data analysis. You’ll develop high quality and actionable analytics used by our customers to empower public health policies and responses. You’ll bridge the gap between needs and solutions by designing processes to collect feedback, identify problems, and develop solutions. You’ll continuously innovate new capabilities for Concentrics platform to be the center of long-term biosecurity.
We use Tableau with data fed predominantly by Snowflake. Our backend tech stack includes AWS, Aptible, Docker, Flask, Kubernetes, PostgreSQL, and other modern tools and frameworks. Our languages of choice for analytics are Python and R. While we don't expect you to be fluent in every platform, we do expect that you have a strong foundation in data analytics concepts and language in order to manage a technical team.
- Manage a team of analysts to iteratively create Concentrics reporting products & deliver Concentrics reporting services in a quickly changing environment, including both internal reporting to support commercial operations and external reporting for clients
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to translate programmatic/client needs into reporting requirements
- Collaborate with the Product team to ensure backend data processes facilitate front-end reporting needs Run an agile team, including sprint planning, design meetings, and retrospectives
- Work closely with product leaders to gather requirements with a focus on understanding the customer’s scientific and business needs, then mapping those to data, data models, and analyses
- Work with Concentric leadership to effectively prioritize projects & capacity Look for additional opportunities to improve communication and collaboration between teams, in particular by helping build new tools or capabilities for unmet program needs
- Meaningfully and positively contribute to Concentric culture
- Bachelor’s degree10+ years of experience in consulting, program management, project implementation, and/or stakeholder relationship development and management
- Strong communication skills with the ability to speak with C-level clients
- Strong analytical skills, with an ability to develop fact-based and informed opinions
- Experience managing a team, demonstrated leadership skills
- Proven track record of project ownership and results orientation in a team setting
- Familiarity with Tableau and SQL Strong attention to detail, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple, concurrent responsibilities
- High level of emotional intelligence
Total compensation for this role is market driven, with a starting salary of $175,000+, as well as company stock awards. Base pay is ultimately determined based on a candidate's skills, expertise, and experience. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental & vision coverage, health spending accounts, voluntary benefits, leave of absence policies, Employee Assistance Program, 401(k) program with employer contribution, 8 paid holidays in addition to a full-week winter shutdown and unlimited Paid Time Off policy.
Note on culture: Concentric by Ginkgo is a high energy, positive and fast paced environment where new challenges and opportunities arise every day, so this opportunity is ideal for people who thrive in those kinds of environments, and for people who like lots of variety in their day. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow. The team is motivated by doing high impact work in service to society. To get a sense of the culture at Ginkgo, read some articles in Grow by Ginkgo, the company magazine we produce, which tells the story of synthetic biology in a Ginkgo-authentic way.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
What is it really like to take your company public via a SPAC? One Boston biotech shares its journey (Fortune)
Ginkgo Bioworks resizes the definition of going big in biotech, raising $2.5B in a record SPAC deal that weighs in with a whopping $15B-plus valuation (Endpoints News)
Ginkgo Bioworks Provides Support on Process Optimization to Moderna for COVID-19 Response (PRNewswire)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.
See more open positions at Ginkgo Bioworks
Something looks off?