Senior Director/Director, Business Development-Pharma Enterprise Sales
Sales & Business Development
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2023
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Ginkgo's platform enables partners to explore biological design space to discover and optimize their targets and processes in mammalian and microbial cells, with applications in cell, gene, RNA, microbiome and biologic therapeutic modalities.
Pharma Business Development team focuses on exploring the applications of Ginkgo’s platform in the therapeutics and vaccines space, and building partnerships that reflect the business objectives. The business development team is an integral part of a cross-functional team, including Growth, technical, deal transaction, IP and legal teams, that drive collaborations from conception, through negotiation and, ultimately, to signing.
Specific Role Description
As a member of the Pharma Business Development team you are responsible for identifying areas and partners, in therapeutics and vaccine space, where our platform in collaborations with partners can address gaps in therapeutic modalities that enable our partners to address key unmet patient needs. You will be leading ownership of potential large enterprise account relationships, conceptualization of partnership frameworks, be responsible for shepherding deals to signing and be an ambassador of Ginkgo to the industry.
- Accountable for deal targets for a sub-team within the Pharma BD team
- Build and manage enterprise account strategy for multiple pharma partner and cultivate new research collaboration deal opportunities
- Identify new business opportunity areas(cross-modality or within a specific therapeutic modality), supported by market landscape assessments including key market needs and current participant capabilities across therapeutic modalities to shape Ginkgo’s partnership strategy
- Lead collaboration discussions and deal negotiations with potential partners in collaboration with broader commercial team
- Support and mentor BD team members on deal structuring and negotiations
- Travel, as necessary, for conferences or partner meetings- (Note: Boston, preferred. Remote, with 1 week per month travel to Boston.)
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in engineering, and/or science; a Business degree will be a plus
- Minimum of 8 years depending on education and experience. Minimum of 12 years with Bachelors only
- Business development experience with deal sheet including research collaborations with pharma companies; preference for sell-side business development experience to large pharma organizations
- Learning agility to understand Ginkgo platform and pitch new applications in therapeutics and vaccine markets that could benefit industry
- Strong analytical skills, with an ability to develop fact-based business cases and informed opinions
- Passion for collaboration and significant experience in relationship-building, and leveraging and converting market knowledge and relationships into business opportunities
- Excellent communication skills, emotional intelligence and an ability to work across organizational boundaries
- Title/level will be based on your experience and education
Note: Boston, preferred. Remote, with 1 week per month travel to Boston.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
What is it really like to take your company public via a SPAC? One Boston biotech shares its journey (Fortune)
Ginkgo Bioworks resizes the definition of going big in biotech, raising $2.5B in a record SPAC deal that weighs in with a whopping $15B-plus valuation (Endpoints News)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.
See more open positions at Ginkgo Bioworks
Something looks off?