AD/Director, Medicinal Chemistry
San Diego, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2023
AD/Director, Medicinal Chemistry
The successful candidate will utilize Genesis Therapeutics platform and guide medicinal chemistry efforts to drug discovery programs from Hit ID through candidate nomination. They will collaborate and/or lead multidisciplinary drug discovery projects, manage a team of CRO chemists and be responsible for chemistry strategy. The candidate will be expected to be a medicinal chemistry leader and mentor.
- Formulate medicinal chemistry strategies and utilize the Genesis platform to execute drug discovery programs from Hit ID through candidate nomination.
- Use SBDD principles, optimize physiochemical properties, interpret in vitro and in vivo ADME/PK/Toxicology data, and understand in vitro and in vivo biology data to drive programs.
- Use data visualization software and metric based analysis to form medicinal chemistry hypothesis and prioritize strategies.
- Work with other drug discovery disciplines (biology, DMPK, software engineers, computational chemists) to drive hypothesis driven decisions, improve the platform and contribute to the scientific excellence of the company.
- Communicate and engage regularly with project team members and management.
- Manage a team of CRO chemists anywhere in size from 5-20.
- Mentor internal chemists as well as other scientific disciplines on medicinal chemistry principles.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- PhD in synthetic organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry with at least 8 years of industrial drug discovery experience OR
- MS in synthetic organic chemistry with at least 14 years of industrial drug discovery experience.
Skills and Knowledge Required:
- Expert medicinal chemistry knowledge with SBDD and physical property-based optimization of drug-like space.
- Expert and metric-based and data visualization to drive prioritization and efficiency.
- Expert synthetic chemistry knowledge and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage external CRO chemistry resources effectively.
- Strong communication skills, both in informal team settings as well as professional presentations.
- Motivated team player with strong critical thinking skills, a high degree of independence, strong creative problem-solving skills and ability to adapt to project changes.
What we Offer:
- We offer a competitive salary & equity
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage (Genesis pays 100% of premiums for employees)
- Free lunches (and dinner if needed) in the office, along with fully stacked kitchen with snacks
- Work closely with a team on the cutting edge of AI research
- Open, flexible PTO
- 401K Plan
Genesis Therapeutics is unifying AI and biotech to discover novel and breakthrough treatments for patients with severe and devastating conditions. Genesis was founded on groundbreaking molecular ML research and since has established itself as the industry leader in AI for small molecule drug discovery. Our team of accomplished biotech leaders and expert drug hunters joins forces with deep learning researchers and software engineers who are pioneering predictive and generative AI technologies for molecules.
Our team has created the industry's most advanced molecular AI platform called GEMS (Genesis Exploration of Molecular Space), to accelerate and optimize small molecule drug discovery and to enable the discovery of novel first-in-class and best-in-class small molecule drugs for challenging and/or undruggable targets.
The company has leveraged GEMS to build an internal pipeline with multiple programs against high-value targets, including data-poor and canonically undruggable targets where GEMS is uniquely advantaged. In addition, Genesis has two AI platform collaborations across a range of therapeutic areas: Eli Lilly (signed in 2022, with a $20M upfront payment and a $670M total deal size), and Genentech (signed in 2020).
We raised a $200M series B in August 2023, and have raised over $280M in funding from top technology and biotech investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, Rock Springs Capital, T. Rowe Price, Fidelity, Radical Ventures, NVentures (NVIDIA's VC arm), BlackRock, and Menlo Ventures.
Genesis is headquartered in Burlingame, CA, with a fully integrated laboratory in San Diego. We are proud to be an inclusive workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.