Staff Software Engineer, Infrastructure (Remote)
This position is open to remote within the US or onsite at our headquarters in South San Francisco.
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
Become a Freenomer
Do you have what it takes to be a Freenomer? A “Freenomer” is a determined, mission-driven, results-oriented employee fueled by the opportunity to change the landscape of cancer and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. Freenomers bring their diverse experience, expertise, and personal perspective to solve problems and push to achieve what’s possible, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
Freenome is looking for an experienced infrastructure engineer to help build a cloud-native machine learning platform for the world’s largest multi-analyte cancer genomics dataset.
As an engineering-forward biotech company, we apply modern engineering practices to build reliable, maintainable, scalable, and secure production systems for our clinical lab and Computational and Molecular Research Scientists.
Our infrastructure team is a small group where you will help set the culture and build the systems that allow us to move fast without breaking things. This is an opportunity to do meaningful engineering work that will directly save lives.
- Rapid iteration and tight feedback loops
- Continual improvement rather than disruption
- Technical simplicity and elegance
- A focus on the larger goals
- Mutual respect and blameless postmortems
- A culture of diversity and inclusion
What you’ll do:
- Improving the reliability and scalability of our platform for genomic research in concert with the Software Engineers and Computational Scientists who depend on it daily
- Planning for significant growth and scaling challenges as we transition from research to product development
- Lending your expertise to design and code reviews
- Anticipating technical scaling limits before we reach them
- Continually improving our security posture
- Reinforcing good development practices across the entire organization
- 8+ years of experience with production infrastructure, automation, and monitoring
- B.S. or M.S. in computer science or a related technical field, or comparable experience
- Experience in analyzing and troubleshooting distributed systems
- Software design and development expertise, especially in Python
- Practical knowledge of Linux internals
- A systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive
Nice to haves:
- Machine learning and data science tools, such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, Jupyter, or Kubeflow
- Systems programming languages such as Go, Rust, or modern C++
- Kubernetes, including tools such as Helm or Flux
- Docker and Linux containers
- Production deployment automation tools, such as Terraform or Ansible
- Large-scale and/or high-performance storage systems, such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, HBase, Spanner, or Cassandra
- Microservices, service meshes, or distributed tracing
- Security, encryption, and certificate management
- Networking, firewalls, load balancers, and HTTP internals
- Monitoring, alerting, logging, and tracing tools, such as Prometheus, fluentd, or Jaeger
- Data pipelines, such as Kafka, Spark, Airflow, Argo, Beam, or Flink
- Google Cloud Platform experience
- Experience with software in a regulated environment
- Genomics or bioinformatics background
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary for new hires is $183,000 - $280,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits depending on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer, and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)