Senior Software Engineer II, Clinical Data Pipeline (Remote)
This position is open to remote within the US or onsite at our headquarters in South San Francisco.
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
Become a Freenomer
Do you have what it takes to be a Freenomer? A “Freenomer” is a determined, mission-driven, results-oriented employee fueled by the opportunity to change the landscape of cancer and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. Freenomers bring their diverse experience, expertise, and personal perspective to solve problems and push to achieve what’s possible, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
At Freenome, we are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to play a lead role in supporting the ingestion of Clinical Data through our data pipelines. Using our existing tooling, and working collaboratively with our Clinical Development, Informatics, Research and engineering teams, you will help plan, configure, troubleshoot and monitor our clinical data ingestion. You will also contribute to fixing and enhancing the pipeline tooling.
To succeed in this position, you should have strong analytical and communication skills, be detail-oriented, and have excellent organizational skills. You will have experience with data technologies, python, docker and kubernetes and are passionate about data quality.
The role reports to our engineering management team.
What you’ll do:
- Work with scientists, product managers, and other engineers to solve complex problems in the face of dynamism and uncertainty
- Support and enhance tools and infrastructure that enables internal teams to effectively create efficient data-pipelines
- Collaborate with team members for code and design review
- Lead and champion data engineering best practices and team culture as a core part of the engineering backbone
- 6+ years of experience as a part of a software engineering team successfully shipping one or more data pipelines used by multiple people or groups
- Expertise in Data Analysis
- Extensive knowledge of Redshift, BigQuery, or similar technologies
- Expertise with a variety of data stores: SQL, noSQL, columnar, timeseries, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with handling and transforming large multivariate datasets via ETL pipelines
- Experience in Kubernetes and Docker
- Strong analytical/troubleshooting skills
- Experience in Google Cloud Platform, AWS, or Azure
- Previous experience leading teams or managing projects
- Experience designing and implementing scalable data systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to thrive in an environment where collaboration, communication, and compromise are an expected part of your day-to-day work
- A mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
- BS or higher in computer science or a related technical field, or comparable
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Grafana, Prometheus, or similar tools
- Data Visualization experience
- Experience with healthcare data/PII
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary rate for new hires is $157,000 - $240,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits dependent on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)