Senior Development Scientist
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
Become a Freenomer
Do you have what it takes to be a Freenomer? A “Freenomer” is a determined, mission-driven, results-oriented employee fueled by the opportunity to change the landscape of cancer and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. Freenomers bring their diverse experience, expertise, and personal perspective to solve problems and push to achieve what’s possible, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
As a Senior Development Scientist you will be responsible for characterizing the impact of a multitude of preanalytical variables on the performance of Freenome’s multiomic tests. You will also make significant contributions in Development studies focused on finalizing the test kit configuration for Freenome’s multiomics tests. In addition to executing at the bench as a subject matter expert in preanalytics, you will be required to leverage preanalytical datasets to generate biological insights that directly inform Freenome’s biomarker discovery studies and product development efforts. Finally, you will collaborate with the Clinical Development, Lab Operations, and Computational Research teams to ensure that preanalytical considerations are represented in every aspect of Freenome’s research platform and product development process.
What you’ll do:
- Design and execute studies to evaluate the impact of preanalytical variables (including blood collection, shipping, and storage conditions) on sample integrity and analyte stability
- Optimize sample collection, transportation, and processing workflows, including selecting blood collection devices, identifying optimal shipping conditions and sample collection kits
- Identify, evaluate, and integrate new sample collection, fractionation, and characterization technologies into preanalytical workflows
- Work cross-functionally with internal teams (Program Management, Clinical Operations, Regulatory, Quality) and external vendors (as required) to plan and execute Development studies
- Collaborate with Computational Biologists and Biostatisticians to define data analysis approaches for Development studies
- Mentor junior Scientists and Research Associates in the Preanalytical Development team in the design and execution of Development studies
- PhD (or equivalent industry experience) in biochemistry, protein chemistry, molecular biology, or a related field
- Prior experience in designing and executing studies aimed at understanding analyte stability in blood and/or plasma
- Experience in design control principles and working cross functionally in phase-gated Product Development projects
- Ability to perform basic data analysis, enabling experimental iteration independent of external support
- Strong communications skills and ability to work collaboratively with team members and stakeholders from different functions
- Ability to collaborate with Project Managers in planning the design and execution timelines for multiple projects
Nice to haves
- Prior experience working in the design and development of sample collection kits/test kits for blood-based diagnostics is a strong plus
- Extensive experience working with blood collection devices, especially those designed for robust stabilization of cell free DNA & proteins
- Hands-on experience with analytical assays used to characterize blood fractions at both the cellular and molecular levels, such as flow cytometry and ELISA
- Familiarity with the stability profiles of a diverse set of analytes, including DNA, RNA, proteins, and other metabolites
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary for new hires is $136,000 - $210,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits depending on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer, and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)