Automation Service Engineer I
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
Become a Freenomer
Do you have what it takes to be a Freenomer? A “Freenomer” is a determined, mission-driven, results-oriented employee fueled by the opportunity to change the landscape of cancer and make a positive impact on patients’ lives. Freenomers bring their diverse experience, expertise, and personal perspective to solve problems and push to achieve what’s possible, one breakthrough at a time.
About this opportunity:
At Freenome, we are seeking an Automation Service Engineer I/II to help grow the Freenome Automation Service team. The ideal candidate is responsible for providing world-class Laboratory Equipment Lifecycle Management service and support, while contributing to efficient processes, procedures, and best practices. You will have the opportunity to join a fast-growing automation service group, to make an immediate impact on the team’s dynamic and culture. This person is responsible for all things related to ensure Laboratory Equipment Lifecycle Management processes (onboarding equipment, IQ, OQ, PQ, calibration, maintenance, pFMEA, decommission) are to adhere to regulatory requirements, on large, fully automated laboratory systems and testing platforms, utilized in our cancer diagnostic test(s). We are rapidly growing and defining the laboratory systems and processes, so the ideal candidate will be someone who has had experience, not only maintaining service processes, but also scaling them to meet our future needs. You are passionate about changing the world through a product that has the potential to better the standard of care for all current, future and potential cancer patients and you will have a significant impact on the continued growth of a high profile technology organization that is changing the landscape on early cancer detection.
The role reports to the Director, Automation Service.
What you’ll do:
- Perform and support equipment installations, qualifications, scheduled and unscheduled maintenance activities, to ensure the highest level of instrument reliability and up-time
- Support end-users to troubleshoot equipment related issues and failure modes
- Responsible for instrument up-time and ensuring that service documentation meets Freenome’s Quality Management System (QMS)
- Support and update laboratory equipment asset management inventory
- Communicate and coordinate equipment status and updates with internal customers
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and disseminate information by developing/reviewing SOPs, WIs, Maintenance Forms, checklists, and service bulletins
- Contribute to the management of a maintenance and calibration (CMMS) system
- Develop, implement, and perform Preventative Maintenance (PM) checks and verifications for critical equipment and workcells
- Perform Clinical Lab equipment routine maintenance activities
- Effectively communicate with third party service providers (vendor management)
- Support and manage temperature monitoring system for cold storages and room temperature/humidity setup, configuration, etc.
- Ensure accuracy, completeness, and GMP compliance in laboratory documentation, as it pertains to Equipment Lifecycle Management
- Author, update, and/or revision of laboratory equipment SOPs, WIs, Maintenance Forms, training, technical specifications, etc. (Laboratory Equipment focused Technical Writer)
- Continuous audit of laboratory equipment inventory for accuracy to align with regulatory compliance
- Support 5S spare parts inventory management to support scale and operations
- Experience working within a highly regulated laboratory environment
- Provide service and support during normal business hours, as well as after hours and on weekends as needed
- B.S. degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, with a minimum of 0-3 years of related industry experience
- Minimum of 0-3 years service engineering or instrumentation and equipment support
- Experience and knowledge in providing laboratory equipment support for Clinical and R&D environments for Hamilton and Bravo Liquid Handlers, Illumina Sequencers, and various other ancillary laboratory instrumentation
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with internal and external colleagues and customers from diverse scientific, engineering, operational, and regulatory disciplines
- Excellent communication skills to work with high dynamic cross functional teams
- Team player: strong communication, collaboration, active listening, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to take part in an on-call rotation with after hours and weekend response as needed
Nice to haves:
- Proficient in providing service support for Hamilton and Bravo Robotic liquid handlers
- Experience providing service support for various other laboratory instrumentation
- Familiarity with developing and executing training programs and providing knowledge-transfer to other engineers and lab personnel
- Experience authoring and supporting laboratory equipment PM, IQ, OQ, PQ, repair, and other service related documentation
- Experience working within a CLIA, CAP, PMA, and/or GDP, GMP highly regulated environment
- Experience standardizing processes for scalability and sustainability
- A problem solver with skills and knowledge to work hands on and lead by example
- Hands-on technical troubleshooting skills in high throughput, sample processing laboratories to support operations and scale activities
- Experience utilizing 5S, Lean Manufacturing, and Six Sigma methodologies
- Liquid Handler programming experience is a plus
Benefits and additional information:
The US target range of our base salary for new hires is $68,000 - $105,000. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, cash bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits dependent on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on several factors, including but not limited to, location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
Something looks off?