Clinical Laboratory Associate (Contractor), Proteomics
Why join Freenome?
Freenome is a high-growth biotech company developing tests to detect cancer using a standard blood draw. To do this, Freenome uses a multiomics platform that combines tumor and non-tumor signals with machine learning to find cancer in its earliest, most-treatable stages.
Cancer is relentless. This is why Freenome is building the clinical, economic, and operational evidence to drive cancer screening and save lives. Our first screening test is for colorectal cancer (CRC) and advanced adenomas, and it’s just the beginning.
Founded in 2014, Freenome has ~500 employees and more than $1.1B in funding from key investors, such as the American Cancer Society, Andreessen Horowitz, Anthem Blue Cross, Bain Capital, Colorectal Cancer Alliance, DCVC, Fidelity, Google Ventures, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Roche, Sands Capital, T. Rowe Price, and Verily.
At Freenome, we aim to impact patients by empowering everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. This, together with our high-performing culture of respect and cross-collaboration, is what motivates us to make every day count.
About this opportunity:
At Freenome, we are seeking a Clinical Laboratory Associate to help grow the Freenome Clinical Laboratory Analytical team. The ideal candidate is dependable, flexible, with attention to detail and is team oriented. This person is responsible for all things related to sample processing and equipment maintenance.
The role reports to the Clinical Laboratory Supervisor.
The standard hours of this position are 9:00am-5:30pm, Monday through Friday. The working hours are subject to change to support special projects. Flexibility to support these projects is required for this role. Sufficient notice will be provided. Shift examples are 10:30am - 7:00pm Sunday through Thursday. Special projects can last up to 9 months.
Current anticipated project to occur beginning in summer 2023 and in this case, lasting approximately 5-6 months in duration.
What you’ll do:
- Performing equipment maintenance according to the laboratory’s standard operating procedures (SOPs) for machines and devices including, but not limited to, the following: centrifuges, freezers, refrigerators, pipettors, fragment analyzers, microplate readers, NovaSeq units, Flexmap units, Blue® Washers, Agilent Bravo units, Hamilton units, and work cells, as needed
- Creating sample batches, printing labels, and labeling tubes and plates
- Maintaining sufficient inventory of material, supplies, and equipment in the laboratory for performance of duties
- Documenting all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications
- Assisting CLSs with preparation and aliquoting of reagents
- Assisting CLSs during sample testing
- Assisting CLSs with quality control (QC) and quality assurance (QA) functions
- Participating in projects under the supervision of a CLS or supervisor along with maintaining quality and an efficient workflow in daily duties
- Participating in cross-departmental projects
- Setting up the Hamilton and assisting with Hamilton automated procedures
- Setting up the work cell and assisting with work cell automated procedures
- Ensuring on-time calibration of laboratory equipment is scheduled and performed
- Reporting all concerns of test quality and/or safety to the supervisor or safety officer
- Working closely with the CLSs and Accessioning Team to provide consistent and ongoing support to the entire Service Department
- Checking, monitoring, and recording temperatures
- Assist with organizing and maintaining laboratory, equipment, personnel, and training documents
- Identifying process improvement opportunities and reporting to laboratory management
- A bachelor’s degree in biomedical laboratory science, clinical science, or related field
- The ability to prioritize tasks with a high emphasis on quality
- Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- The ability to work as part of a team within a highly collaborative environment
- Flexibility to variable shift start times depending on operational needs.
Nice to haves:
- Work experience in a clinical laboratory setting
Contractors may be hired through a third-party provider and will be considered contingent workers. We invite you to check out our career page @ https://careers.freenome.com/ for additional company information.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
Something looks off?