Senior Director, Lead of High Throughput Screening HTS
Our Culture: Why work with us?
At Foghorn Therapeutics, we believe in "People First, Mission Always."
We put "People First" because we know our people are the key to everything we will accomplish. We value the diversity of background, ideas, perspectives and experiences that our team members bring to Foghorn Therapeutics - demonstrated by our community speaking more than 22 languages and representing over 24 nationalities. We value our teammates as people, not just as employees - validated by our actions that let our people know that we care about them, their families, and their lives.
We say "Mission Always" because we know a relentless commitment to our mission will make a difference in the lives of others. We believe our success will come from evaluating the data to follow the science. We work hard to develop a new class of therapies that could improve the lives of over 2.5 million people with cancer.
Our culture is focused on succeeding through the evaluation of data, not people. And in that, relationships can flourish and develop.
The groundbreaking science behind our therapies continues to yield vital insights into diseases that have confounded physicians and researchers. Our core scientific approach is centered on the chromatin regulatory system, which opens and closes the right sections of DNA at the right time. Breakdowns in the chromatin regulatory system lead to a wide range of diseases, including cancer, impacting millions of people.
Our proprietary Gene Traffic Control® platform is a powerful tool for understanding and modulating the chromatin regulatory system. We are pursuing multiple treatments for breakdowns in this system. We are the only company with the ability to study and target the chromatin regulatory system at scale, in context, and in an integrated way.
Foghorn Therapeutics has been successful in validating our Gene Traffic Control platform by bringing two molecules into clinical development. We are now looking to capitalize of that success by investing heavily in the exciting portfolio of earlier stage assets that are underway.
This role is an exciting opportunity to be a critical part of the Drug Discovery Department of a high growth organization that is radically changing the biotech industry. We are looking for a Senior Director, Lead of High Throughput Screening (HTS) that will have an opportunity to shape Foghorn’s early discovery strategy, explore innovative screening approaches and guide hit validation efforts for multiple target classes. You will play a critical role in building a creative, inclusive, and highly collaborative work environment. This job is based in Cambridge, MA
In This Role, You'll Get To:
- Lead and expand the screening group to support portfolio activities, build new capabilities internally and through external partnerships
- Design and lead hit finding and drug discovery cascades to support hit identification, hit-to-lead, and lead optimization campaigns
- Develop research solutions, evaluate and implement new assay techniques
- Employ biophysical and biochemical methods enabling mechanistic studies to determine MOA
- Mentor and guide the career development at all levels including PhD-level scientists
Minimum Qualifications and requirements
- Doctorate degree (PhD) in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or a related field of scientific study.
- A minimum of 7 to 10 years of professional experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry, with a consistent track record of advancing projects from the initial stages of hit discovery and hit-to-lead conversion to the development of new molecular entities (NME).
- Demonstrable expertise in spearheading discovery programs, with a proven history of successfully propelling small molecule hits to NMEs.
- At least 5 to 10 years of managerial experience, demonstrating capacity in mentoring, coaching, and developing scientists.
- Hands-on expertise in multiple areas including:
- Assay development and High Throughput Screening (HTS) adaptation.
- Biophysical assays such as Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR), Isothermal Titration Calorimetry (ITC), Differential Scanning Fluorimetry (DSF), and MicroScale Thermophoresis (MST).
- Study of Protein-protein interactions (PPIs).
- Cell-based or phenotypic High Throughput Screening (HTS).
- Discovery of covalent inhibitors/binders.
- Fragment-based drug discovery (FBDD) and screening.
- DNA Encoded Library (DEL) screening.
- Strong leadership abilities, coupled with a commitment to rigorous scientific methods and fostering a culture of innovative thinking.
- A proven ability to manage multiple discovery projects concurrently, with a strong emphasis on delivering results in a timely manner.
- Experience in fostering and managing productive relationships with Contract Research Organizations (CROs).
- An established record of scientific excellence, demonstrated by a robust portfolio of scientific publications and/or patents.
Foghorn Therapeutics is pleased to provide you and your family with a comprehensive suite of benefits, including:
- Highly competitive and inclusive medical, dental and vision coverage options
- 401K retirement program with company match
- FSA and HSA for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- Free premium access to fitness, nutrition, and mindfulness classes
- Unlimited paid time off policy
- Discretionary winter shut down
- Generous Paid Leave offerings, including 12 weeks of 100% paid maternity leave
- Paid Life, LTD and STD insurance coverages, as well as voluntary benefit options
- Free parking or subsidized commuter passes
Foghorn Therapeutics is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Foghorn is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Foghorn Therapeutics will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.