Team Lead/Associate Director - Scientific Computing
Elegen is blazing a path towards a biology-based economy with a highly innovative approach to DNA synthesis that delivers an industry leading length of 7kb in 7 business days with a 99.999% per base accuracy. Our multidisciplinary team of best-in-class biologists, chemists, hardware, and software engineers apply cutting-edge technologies and methods to solve critical bottlenecks in synthetic biology workflows to help our customers in pharma, biotech, agbio, and biomanufacturing streamline their work and realize the full potential of programmable biology.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company at an early stage and to have an impact on the development of its products, markets, processes, people, and culture.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a software engineer to establish the scientific software infrastructure and capabilities at a uniquely innovative, rapidly moving, high-impact start-up. In addition to leading bleeding-edge bioinformatics and LIMS, you will help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
We are seeking a scientific computing lead experienced in bioinformatics and data analytics to lead the development of our NGS pipelines and lab execution system. The Team Leader will closely interact with other functions to strategically plan, prioritize and execute the scientific computing effort.
- Lead and mentor a team of bioinformaticians and software engineers. Set clear objectives, provide feedback, and facilitate professional development for team members
- Oversee the scalable development and optimization of next-generation sequencing (NGS) data analysis pipelines
- Manage the development of Elegen's in-house Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Collaborate with other functions to define software and bioinformatics development priorities
- Oversee the software development life-cycle (SDLC)
- Ensure data integrity, traceability, and compliance with quality standards
- Collaborate with lab operations teams to support production lab environments
- Troubleshoot and resolve operational issues in a timely manner, including oversight of on-call rotations
Essential Candidate Profile:
- B.S. or M.S. in computer science, bioinformatics, computational biology, genomics, or a related field with 7 years of industry experience or Ph.D. with 3 years of experience.
- Fluency with Python, Unix, and distributed computing.
- Experience in sequencing bioinformatics analysis pipeline development, automation, and maintenance.
- Familiar with software development best practices, including version control using GitHub, release management, testing and tracking (Jira), and CI/CD. Possess strong analytical thinking and organizational skills.
- Previous experience managing a team of software and/or bioinformatics engineers.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate effectively in interdisciplinary teams.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
- Previous experience with project and resource management
- Experience with DevOps (AWS)
- Experience with Lab Information Management Systems
- Familiarity with machine learning, statistics, and predictive modeling.
- Familiarity with molecular biology or synthetic biology approaches and methods.
Salary and Benefits:
The annual base salary compensation for this role, if based in California is: $185,000 - $210,000. Compensation may be different in other locations. Final compensation also includes bonus, equity and benefits. Specific offer packages are determined by multiple factors, including candidate skill, experience, expertise, and location.
✓ Healthcare ✓ Dental ✓ Vision ✓ Learning Allowance
✓ 401K ✓ Flexible PTO ✓ Short Term Disability ✓ Fitness Allowance
About The Company:
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Elegen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Elegen provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law. All applicants have rights under the following Federal Employment Laws: