Senior Cost Accountant
Elegen is blazing a path towards a biology-based economy with a highly innovative approach to DNA synthesis that delivers an industry leading length of 7kb in 7 business days with a 99.999% per base accuracy. Our multidisciplinary team of best-in-class biologists, chemists, hardware, and software engineers apply cutting-edge technologies and methods to solve critical bottlenecks in synthetic biology workflows to help our customers in pharma, biotech, agbio, and biomanufacturing streamline their work and realize the full potential of programmable biology.
We are a growing business seeking an experienced Senior Cost Accountant to help us build and run a financial organization and infrastructure that will scale from our initial product launch and beyond. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working remote, but able to travel to our main office in San Carlos, CA as needed.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a cost accountant looking to further develop their skills at a uniquely innovative, rapidly moving, high impact start-up. In addition to establishing the infrastructure as Elegen, you will help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
The Senior Cost Accountant will play a crucial role in our finance team by analyzing, monitoring, and optimizing the company's costs and expenses. This position involves extensive financial analysis, cost control, budgeting, and working closely with cross-functional teams to drive cost efficiency initiatives. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in accounting, financial analysis, and a deep understanding of cost accounting principles.
- Cost Analysis: Conduct detailed cost analysis to identify areas of improvement and cost reduction. Analyze cost trends and provide insights into cost drivers.
- Budgeting and Forecasting: Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and periodic forecasting by providing cost-related data and analysis.
- Cost Control: Implement cost control measures and policies to ensure cost-effectiveness. Monitor expenses to ensure they align with budgets.
- Product Costing: Calculate and maintain accurate product costs for various product lines. Work with production teams to ensure accurate and up-to-date cost information.
- Variance Analysis: Investigate and report on variances between budgeted and actual costs. Provide explanations for deviations and suggest corrective actions.
- Inventory Management: Manage and evaluate inventory costs, including the valuation of raw materials, work-in-progress, and finished goods.
- Process Improvement: Identify and recommend process improvements that enhance cost efficiency, productivity, and overall profitability.
- Financial Reporting: Prepare and present cost-related reports to management and other stakeholders as required.
- Compliance: Ensure compliance with accounting standards, internal controls, and relevant regulations in all cost-related activities.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including production, procurement, and finance, to gather data and insights for cost-related decisions.
- Support: As an integral part of the Finance team, you will be the backup for our Senior Accountant responsible for Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and other accounting tasks.
Essential Candidate Profile:
- 2 years cost accounting experience
- 5 years accounting related experience.
- Microsoft office suite
- NetSuite, Oracle Financials, SAP, Sage or other equivalent system experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills; must be detail oriented
- Ability to multi-task and follow-up on pending issues
- Open to change and willing to learn new skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business or other related field
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
- Strong NetSuite experience
- Project Management Skills
- Biotech industry experience
- Advanced proficiency in data analysis and reporting tools
Salary and Benefits:
The annual base salary compensation for this role, if based in California is: $100,000 - $125,000. Compensation may be different in other locations. Final compensation also includes bonus, equity and benefits. Specific offer packages are determined by multiple factors, including candidate skill, experience, expertise, and location.
✓ Healthcare ✓ Dental ✓ Vision ✓ Learning Allowance
✓ 401K ✓ Flexible PTO ✓ Short Term Disability ✓ Fitness Allowance
About The Company:
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Elegen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Elegen provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law. All applicants have rights under the following Federal Employment Laws: