Principal Scientist, Molecular Biology
Elegen is blazing a path towards a biology-based economy. Through unique insight and innovation Elegen can produce DNA in ≤1 week that is 10x longer and 20x more accurate than any available methods, letting scientists everywhere streamline and accelerate their work.
We are seeking a passionate and creative molecular biologist to become one of the founding members of our growing R&D team. You would help lead the rapid expansion of our revolutionary gene synthesis technology.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, self-driven scientist looking to join a uniquely innovative, rapidly moving, high impact start-up. In addition to working on cutting edge technology, you will help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
- Invent and develop novel molecular biology techniques related to long DNA assembly and amplification (from 10 to 100 kilobases).
- Direct molecular biology efforts from research through development to process scale-up, validation, and commercialization.
- Advise and help solve problems for molecular biology projects across the company.
- Help hire, mentor, and develop the molecular biology team.
- Provide useful input on market opportunities for long DNA.
Essential Candidate Profile:
- Ph.D. in chemistry, molecular biology, synthetic biology, or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience and deep expertise in molecular biology techniques and enzymes, in particular those related to production or manipulation of long DNA.
- In-depth knowledge of enzymatic gene assembly techniques.
- Creative problem solver, with a passion for developing and implementing new molecular biology techniques.
- Strong track record of working in a highly collaborative environment on multidisciplinary projects.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
- Strong understanding of synthetic biology applications.
- Previous experience with devising, troubleshooting, and optimizing protocols on automated instrumentation.
- Life Science Tools industry experience, preferably in one or more startups.
- Strong scientific network.