Rensselaer, IN, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
At eGenesis, we aspire to deliver safe and effective human transplantable cells, tissue and organs utilizing the latest advancements in genome editing.
eGenesis is seeking a motivated individual to join the team and provide animal care according to eGenesis Program of Animal Care. This candidate will perform daily animal health observations and report to them to the eGenesis Veterinarian(s). In addition, they will administer medications, vaccines, and treatments as well as prepare animals and instruments for surgery. Finally, they will assist the eGenesis veterinarian(s) and personnel in all animal-related phases, including diagnostic sampling, abiding by and modifying standard operating procedures, and practicing state of art biosecurity protocols.
- Responsible for observing and reporting on the behavior and condition of animals.
- Responsible for administering medications, vaccines, and treatments.
- Provide emergency first aid or general nursing care.
- Responsible for maintaining and keeping health and herd management records updated.
- Assist in or perform diagnostic tests and ultrasound for pregnancy detection.
- Responsible for providing pre- and post-operative care, administer anesthesia and to assist during medical procedures.
- Assist veterinarians and scientists in biomedical research.
- Collect and record animal health histories.
- Promote and adhere to safety in the workplace.
- Follow safe work practices and enforce health and safety regulations. Report unsafe acts and conditions and ensure equipment is maintained correctly. Report all accidents/incidents. Inspect your area and take remedial action to minimize or eliminate hazards: complete required training assignments, forms, and other paperwork.
- Promote and adhere to the eGenesis animal welfare policies
- Follow USDA and FDA guidelines regarding animal welfare. Report any deviation from acts or conducts related to animal activities and humane care according to the Guide for the care and use of laboratory Animals.
- Perform other duties and assume additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Associate or Bachelor degree in Animal Science or related field
- Veterinary Technician Certification preferred, but not required
- Experience in livestock or emergency animal surgery preferred
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, walk, reach with hands or arms, lift files and operate a computer. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust to focus. The employee frequently is required to lift laboratory supplies and equipment within the daily routine. Occasionally the employee may be required to handle and work with large animals.
This job operates in multiple environments, including office, laboratory, surgery, necropsy, and animal husbandry environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copy machines, filing cabinets, and fax machines. This job may require the use of hazardous chemicals, conduct sample collection on livestock and operate in a dusty environment.