Senior Software Engineer, Fullstack - Precision Care
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2023
Color is a health technology company that makes population-scale healthcare programs accessible, convenient, and cost-effective for everyone. We work with governments, public health institutions, employers, and national health initiatives around the world to provide the tools for preventive health and infectious disease management, including testing, vaccinations, and other services.
Apply to join Color and do the most meaningful work of your career. If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified but are up for the challenge - we want you to apply!
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer to help us build and scale our healthcare platform. You’ll develop innovative new features that impact people’s health and lives. As a Color engineer, you’ll build out new products, improve the usability, performance and architecture of our existing products and services. This is a senior-level position, suitable for those with experience building complex software as part of a high-performing team. No background or expertise in biology or genetics is required.
The Precision Care team is responsible for genomics at Color and for the All Of Us program. The genomics domain encompasses all clinical and research genetic testing, taking bioinformatics pipeline sequencing results through to end-user reports. The All Of Us research program is an ambitious partnership with the National Institutes of Health to deliver genetic testing results to at least a million US participants, and to provide data sets to researchers in order to accelerate precision medicine.
How You'll Contribute:
- Design and build novel products and features to address long-standing problems in healthcare, with a focus on producing amazing experiences that are more than the sum of their parts
- Collaborate with product, design, data science, and our scientific teams to build cutting-edge experiences and services
- Improve the quality, reliability, and speed of our core products and services
- Propose and implement changes to our data models, core architecture, and codebase
- Develop all levels of the technical stack even if you’re more experienced in some layers
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- A passion for using software and technology to help save lives, and reduce the risk of populations to a multitude of diseases. You want to apply your skills in the service of a greater mission.
- 5+ years of industry experience as a software engineer (or equivalent role).
- Experience building and launching numerous features, products or systems successfully into the wild and iterated to incorporate user feedback.
- A commitment to quality of code; you will work hard to eliminate unnecessary duplication or awkward workarounds. You're passionate about rigorous engineering practices and discipline: code reviews, automated testing, logging, monitoring, alerting, etc.
- Effective communication skills, with a proven ability to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical collaborators: you identify core challenges in complex situations, explain trade offs, and incorporate feedback to make decisions using code reviews, docs, wikis, meetings, and other channels as needed.
- Experience defining product roadmaps in close collaboration with Product Managers, Designers, Researchers and other stakeholders.
- Experience with modern web stacks.
- Comfort working across the stack as a full-stack engineer.
Nice to Have:
- You’re productive in one or several items from our technology stack including Python, Django, AWS, SQL, REST APIs, React, HTML5, CSS3, and ES6+.
- You have acted as a technical lead for teams or projects of 1-3 engineers.
Possible Projects to Contribute to:
- The All Of Us research program, an ambitious partnership with the NIH to deliver genetic testing results to at least a million people living in the United States to accelerate research that may improve everyone’s health
- Genetic testing, from sequencing results through end-user reports, for both clinical use and research partners
At Color we use the following technologies:
- Software: Python, Django, some Flask, Celery, React, some Angular (which we are getting rid of), a tiny bit of Node.js, and some Go (which we are getting rid of)
- Tasks: Celery
- Data: RDS Aurora
- Build and CI: GitHub, ArgoCD, Pants, CircleCI, a legacy system we are trying to kill
- Observability: Datadog, Honeycomb
- Cloud: AWS
- Platform: Kubernetes, Traefik
What We Offer:
- 💰 Competitive salary
- ✨ Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 📈 401k match
- 📱 Monthly phone and wifi stipend for employees
- ⌨️ One-time ergonomic stipend for your remote work set up
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy, paid holidays and company-wide recharge days
- 🍼 Equal paid parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
- 🧬 Four complimentary clinical-grade genetic testing kits for you and your family
Base Salary Range: $163,000 - $226,000 a year
The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: work experience, market data, skills, geographic location, and business need. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and benefits.
Color is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities in our recruitment process.