Senior Software Engineer, Tools & Infrastructure
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
United States · Remote
Posted on Friday, May 5, 2023
Color is a health technology company that makes population-scale healthcare programs accessible, convenient, and cost-effective for everyone. We work with governments, public health institutions, employers, and national health initiatives around the world to provide the tools for preventive health and infectious disease management, including testing, vaccinations, and other services.
Apply to join Color and do the most meaningful work of your career. If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified but are up for the challenge - we want you to apply!
We are seeking an experienced software engineer to join our Technical Infrastructure and Developer Experience (aka TIDE) team. TIDE maintains our production environments, develops Color’s cloud infrastructure, and owns our build pipelines. You will work closely with our engineering teams to ensure the smooth operation of our infrastructure and help implement processes to improve our developer experience. You will maintain our production environments, develop our cloud infrastructure, and improve our build pipelines.
How You'll Contribute:
- Drive developer productivity practices to enable Color’s engineering team to develop novel products and features to address long-standing problems in healthcare and genetics
- Engineer Color’s development environments to enable developers to quickly build, launch, and iterate using industry standard developer tools
- Collaborate with leaders across engineering to enable Color to scale the development team while minimizing development friction
- Lead the definition of observability standards and incident response processes to maintain high product quality at all times to reliably serve millions of users
- Partner with engineers to adapt existing development practices and tools to quickly respond to rapidly changing needs and opportunities
- Participate in on-call rotation to ensure 24/7 coverage of our cloud infrastructure
Our Ideal Candidate Will:
- Have 6+ years of industry experience as a software engineer (or equivalent role)
- Have 1+ years working on engineering projects focused on developer tools, productivity, operations, and/or site reliability
- Maintain a high bar for quality of code and work diligently to eliminate unnecessary duplication and awkward workarounds.
- Know the value of rigorous engineering practices, and also when to apply them.
- Effectively communicate ideas and designs in complex situations, explain trade offs, and incorporate feedback to make choices using code reviews, docs, wikis, meetings, and other channels as needed.
- Leverage off-the-shelf components when possible, with good judgment about what to use and where to find it.
- Have experience with modern development practices and products, such as AWS, Kubernetes, PostgreSQL, CircleCI, linux, Docker, and git.
- Have experience working with Python web stacks.
- Be passionate about using software and technology to help save lives and prevent catastrophic diseases.
- Want to apply your skills in the service of a greater mission.
- Have experience with infrastructure tools such as Terraform or Pulumi and Kubernetes.
Possible Projects to Contribute to:
- Rebuilding Color’s web development environment to enable developers to rapidly start a dev server that reliably mimics production
- Designing a faster release process through improvements and redesign of existing test automation
- Recommending a standard development toolchain as part of our onboarding process for new engineers
- Helping teams define SLOs for customer-facing services and build observability and incident response processes for the team to meet them
- Teaching a tutorial on a new CI/CD tool and how we can leverage it to improve release processes across the company
At Color we use the following technologies:
- Software: Python, Django, some Flask, Celery, React, some Angular (which we are getting rid of), a tiny bit of Node.js, and some Go (which we are getting rid of)
- Tasks: Celery
- Data: RDS Aurora
- Build and CI: GitHub, ArgoCD, Pants, CircleCI, a legacy system we are trying to kill
- Observability: Datadog, Honeycomb
- Cloud: AWS
- Platform: Kubernetes, Traefik
What We Offer:
- 💰 Competitive salary
- ✨ Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
- 📈 401k match
- 📱 Monthly phone and wifi stipend for employees
- ⌨️ One-time ergonomic stipend for your remote work set up
- 🏝 Generous vacation policy, paid holidays and company-wide recharge days
- 🍼 Equal paid parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
- 🧬 Four complimentary clinical-grade genetic testing kits for you and your family
Base Salary Range: $178,000 - $235,000 a year
The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: work experience, market data, skills, geographic location, and business need. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and benefits.
Color is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. Color prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Color conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities in our recruitment process.
Mandatory Vaccination Policy Disclosure
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: Color requires anyone working onsite or visiting Color’s offices to confirm they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or religious accommodation is timely requested and approved. Please reach out if you have questions or concerns about this policy and how it may apply to your candidacy for a role with Color.
See more open positions at Color
Something looks off?