Associate Scientist/Scientist, Analytical Development
Chroma Medicine is pioneering a new class of genomic medicines that harness epigenetics, nature’s innate mechanism for gene regulation, revolutionizing the treatment of genetically driven diseases. As a start-up genomic medicine company with world-leading scientific founders, strong investment backing including Newpath Partners and Atlas Venture, and experienced leadership, Chroma is positioned to be the leader in epigenetic editing.
The epigenome is nature’s gatekeeper for gene expression, governing cell phenotype and function by precisely controlling gene activity without changing the underlying DNA sequence. Building on groundbreaking research from the world’s foremost genomic medicine experts, Chroma Medicine is working at the cutting edge of precision genomics, building an entirely new class of therapeutics to achieve unparalleled control of gene expression.
We are hiring at our Boston, Massachusetts site, offering a unique opportunity to be part of our foundational Chroma team.
Chroma is seeking an Associate Scientist/Scientist within its Analytical Development (AD) team to design, develop and qualify phase appropriate analytical methods to support Chroma’s growing gene therapy pipeline.
- Your focus will be on bioassays within the AD team applying commonly used techniques to perform in depth characterization of mRNA, gRNA, and LNPs.
- You will be part of an integrated R&D team that aims to advance preclinical gene therapy candidates into the clinic and work closely with research, delivery science, process development, technical operation and quality control groups.
- Drive development and optimization of a variety of molecular and cell-based bioassays for characterization, potency, and stability testing of mRNA, gRNA, and LNPs. Typical assays include RT-qPCR, ddPCR, plate-based fluorescent and luminescent assays, ELISA, and expression assays in cells and cell-free systems.
- Perform method qualifications and support technical transfer to vendors when necessary.
- Work cross-functionally to plan and execute complex characterization studies. Support research teams with new drug candidate development by performing characterization assays.
- Review, interpret, and present data within the analytical team and cross-functionally.
- Support QC with required data and technical support (e.g., investigations, specifications, comparability, and assay qualifications).
- Support process development and delivery technology for related studies (potency, stability, etc.), and characterize drug substances and drug products.
- Author and review method development reports, qualification protocols and reports, and other technical documents.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills, including an attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills when presenting scientific research.
- Passionate and able to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative, and, at times, uncertain or changing environment while remaining flexible, proactive, and resourceful to drive cutting-edge science.
- Ability to move forward multiple tasks simultaneously, integrating cross-functional issues, and balancing competing priorities effectively.
- Collaborative and team-oriented mindset with a desire to positively impact a new company’s evolving culture.
- Candidates should have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in biological sciences/ biomedical engineering, or related discipline with a demonstrated scientific background (e.g., undergraduate research) and 4-8 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated competency in both PCR and ELISA assays is required.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture is a plus, but not required.
- Experience with DOE design and execution is a plus.
Chroma Medicine is an equal opportunity employer, providing equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender identity, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Chroma Medicine complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: All Chroma Medicine team members must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. This requirement includes a booster dose once eligible. Requests for exemptions for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs will be considered.