Senior Electrical Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 6, 2023
We are seeking an innovative and highly motivated electrical engineer who will contribute significantly to the development of our advanced cell therapy manufacturing platform.
The focus of this position is both platform level power and signal distribution and low- to medium- complexity PCB design for laboratory equipment. Development tasks will include prototyping, requirements definition, design, implementation, manufacturing, and test. This individual will interface across many parts of the company to develop novel products used in the cell therapy and gene therapy world.
Candidates should enjoy working in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment, and be prepared to tackle a broad selection of challenges as the company grows.
- Participate in the electrical design of complex automation equipment
- Identify electrical system requirements given input from internal and external stakeholders including Engineering, Product Management, Quality, and Compliance
- Design moderate complexity printed circuit boards for distribution of I/O and basic power and signal conditioning
- Design the electrical architecture for power and signal distribution to components within the equipment, such as transformers, power supplies, motors and drives, integrated laboratory instruments, and distributed I/O
- Drive the selection and design of custom and prefabricated cables and wire harnesses
- Design AC and DC panels and junction boxes following applicable standards such as NFPA 79, UL 508A, SEMI S22, and/or UL 61010-1
- Produce BOMs, wiring diagrams, schematics, power budgets, and other technical documentation required for reproducible designs
- Participate in design reviews and provide input to identify issues and drive design choices
- Provide input in the compliance process to ensure design meets all applicable regulatory standards
- Collaborate with external suppliers and contract manufacturers
- Provide hands-on support for basic assembly and troubleshooting during prototyping and commissioning when needed
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience is required
- 5+ years industry experience developing control systems for customer-shippable life science instrumentation or comparable equipment
- Experience as a technical/engineering lead on multiple projects
- Solid understanding of electrical design best practices for robust equipment, including electrical noise mitigation techniques and designing for electrical safety and EMI/EMC compliance
- General exposure to control system techniques, PLC controlled equipment, and applicable industrial networks used in control system development
- Familiar with EDA software such as OrCAD or Altium for circuit design
- Comfortable developing cable and wire harness designs, either directly in a tool such as AutoCAD, RapidHarness, Zuken E3 or collaborating with mechanical engineers / drafters on the design
- Experience specifying components of a cable assembly including specifying appropriate connectors, crimps, conductor types, shielding and insulation
- A strong understanding of standards such as UL 508A, NFPA 79 or UL 61010-1 and practical experience implementing electrical equipment following these standards
- Familiar with industrial electrical drawing standards such as NEMA or IEC
- Familiar with implementing systems utilizing common industrial fieldbus and communication protocols such as EtherCAT, ProfiNet, EtherNet/IP, CANbus, RS-232, RS-485
- Familiar working in a product design environment with product data management (PDM) and product lifecycle management (PLM) tools as a part of the design lifecycle
- Self-awareness, integrity, authenticity, and a growth/entrepreneurial mindset
This is Cellares
Cellares is creating the future of cell therapy manufacturing. The company is developing an innovative cell therapy manufacturing solution that is robust, cost-effective and scalable so that cell therapies are more affordable and widely available to patients in need. Our multidisciplinary team comes together from diverse backgrounds with a shared passion for accelerating access to life-saving cell therapies. We value integrity, curiosity, the courage to grow and embrace change. At Cellares, you will collaborate with a world class team of engineers, scientists, and business leaders who are as excited about improving the world as you are.
Leveling will be based on overall experience, education, and demonstration of knowledge throughout the interview process.
See more open positions at Cellares
Something looks off?