Supervising Staff Electrical Engineer
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2023
We are seeking an innovative and highly motivated Supervising Staff Electrical Engineer who will contribute significantly to the development of our advanced cell therapy manufacturing platform. This position will report to the manager of the Electrical and Controls Engineering.
This position will require a mix of management and hands-on experience. The primary focus of this position will be the supervision and mentorship of a small team of electrical engineers who are developing the core electrical systems for our product. As a Supervising Staff Electrical Engineer, you will leverage your expertise in technical design and leadership to guide the team towards the development of high quality and robust products. You will ensure that the team has the resources to operate effectively, provide guidance in technical decision making and ensure a culture of collaboration and innovation within your team and the larger organization. You will interface across many parts of the company to develop novel products used in the cell therapy and gene therapy world.
Candidates should enjoy working in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment, and be prepared to tackle a broad selection of challenges as the company grows.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to an existing team of senior and junior engineers
- Promote the growth and development of individuals on your team through 1:1s, performance reviews, and team meetings
- Guide the team in selecting tools and methods that allow for nimble and efficient operation
- Develop electrical standards and procedures for internal and external use
- Plan and coordinate projects for the electrical engineering team, working closely with project management and department leads in the company to determine resource needs and scheduling to ensure clear communication of project status, dependencies, and blockers
- Manage relationships with external contractors and suppliers such as CAD designers, panel shops, board houses and contract manufacturers
- Guide the electrical team in identifying electrical system requirements given input from internal and external stakeholders including Engineering, Product Management, Quality, and Compliance
- Guide the electrical team in selecting electrical architecture for power and signal distribution to components within the equipment, such as transformers, power supplies, motors and drives, integrated laboratory instruments, and distributed I/O
- Participate in design reviews and provide input to identify issues and drive design choices
- Provide input in the compliance process to ensure design meets all applicable regulatory standards
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience is required
- 10+ years industry experience developing products for customer-shippable life science instrumentation or comparable equipment
- 5+ years of experience as a technical/engineering lead
- 2+ years of experience as an engineering manager or supervisor of individual contributors and/or contractors
- A strong understanding of electrical standards such as UL 508A, NFPA 79 and UL 61010-1 and practical experience implementing electrical equipment following these standards
- Experience developing and bringing to production custom PCB based electronic designs
- Experience with electrical hardware testing, including identifying test requirements, writing test plans, and implementing test protocols with manual processes and/or automated test equipment
- A solid understanding of electrical design best practices for robust equipment, including electrical noise mitigation techniques and designing for electrical safety and EMI/EMC compliance
- General exposure to control system techniques, PLC controlled equipment, and applicable industrial networks used in control system development
- Familiar with electrical CAD software such as Zuken E3, EPLAN, AutoCAD Electrical, Siemens Solid Edge. Proficient in at least one
- Familiar with industrial electrical drawing standards such as NEMA or IEC
- Familiar with implementing systems utilizing common industrial fieldbus and communication protocols such as EtherCAT, ProfiNet, EtherNet/IP, CANbus, RS-232, RS-485
- Familiar working in a product design environment with product data management (PDM) and product lifecycle management (PLM) tools as a part of the design lifecycle
- Self-awareness, integrity, authenticity, and a growth/entrepreneurial mindset
This is Cellares
Cellares is creating the future of cell therapy manufacturing. The company is developing an innovative cell therapy manufacturing solution that is robust, cost-effective and scalable so that cell therapies are more affordable and widely available to patients in need. Our multidisciplinary team comes together from diverse backgrounds with a shared passion for accelerating access to life-saving cell therapies. We value integrity, curiosity, the courage to grow and embrace change. At Cellares, you will collaborate with a world class team of engineers, scientists, and business leaders who are as excited about improving the world as you are.
Leveling will be based on overall experience, education, and demonstration of knowledge throughout the interview process.
See more open positions at Cellares
Something looks off?