Senior Director/Executive Director, Drug Discovery Biology
Boundless Bio is a San Diego-based, next generation precision oncology company employing an exciting new area of cancer biology, extrachromosomal DNA (“ecDNA”), to revolutionize the way cancer is treated. We are seeking an Associate Director/Director, Chemistry to lead medicinal chemistry projects for Boundless Bio’s small molecule drug discovery programs in hit-to lead and lead optimization to advance novel ecDNA candidates into transformative therapies to treat patients with oncogene amplified driven cancers.
Reporting to the Sr. Vice President, Discovery and Translational Development, you will spearhead a team focused on the discovery and early-stage development of small molecule-based cancer therapeutics. You will participate in and guide a team through the processes of target identification, validation, hit discovery, and lead optimization, working up to the IND stage. Your expertise will be pivotal in advancing our drug discovery pipeline and contributing to the development of new therapies to address unmet medical needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategically develop internal capabilities to discover novel therapeutics for the treatment of oncogene amplified cancers
- Lead drug discovery teams and programs up to the IND stage, specifically in small molecule-based cancer therapeutics
- Direct and guide a group of scientists and researchers dedicated to small molecule drug discovery and early-stage development within the field of oncology
- Oversee biology-related drug discovery activities, including preclinical development of current NCEs for established and novel targets
- Provide leadership, strategic guidance, efficient resource allocation, and a structured organizational framework to facilitate prompt decision-making on projects
- Provide strategic direction to scientific project teams to ensure the team’s success and accountability in meeting project goals and milestones
- Collaborate cross functionally with chemistry, pharmacology, bioinformatics, translational development teams to effectively lead the progression of the drug development pipeline
- Lead and mentor teams of scientists and researchers, fostering a collaborative and innovative work environment. Provide ongoing feedback and coaching; encourage forward-thinking approaches
- Collaborate with lab operations to ensure efficient processes are in place while adhering to EH&S regulations
- Advanced degree (PhD, MD, MD/PhD) in cancer biology or related discipline and 12+years’ experience in oncology drug R&D in a small molecule pharma/biotech environment
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in target identification, validation, hit discovery, and lead optimization processes
- Deep oncology expertise and understanding of the state-of-the science and clinical landscape in cancer treatment
- Familiarity with structure-based drug design and medicinal chemistry principles to guide lead optimization efforts
- Experience in working with in vivo cancer models to assess pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and efficacy of lead candidates
- Strong history of publications and conference presentations in the field of cancer biology and small molecule drug discovery
- Proven ability to collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams, including medicinal chemists, pharmacologists, and DMPK scientists
- Experience managing and developing scientific teams, fostering a culture of collaboration and excellence
- Ability to function efficiently and independently in a fast-paced changing environment
- Exceptional communication skills, capable of effectively presenting complex scientific concepts to diverse audiences
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, excellent interpersonal and writing skills
The anticipated annual salary range for this position is $200,000 to $255,000. The final salary offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on several factors that may include but are not limited to the type and length of experience within the job, type and length of experience within the industry, education, etc. In addition to base salary, Boundless Bio employees are eligible for an annual bonus incentive and an equity stock option grant. Boundless Bio offers a competitive benefits package including, medical, dental, vision, and life insurance for employees and their dependents. We also offer a 401(k) plan with a matching contribution in addition to a flexible time off policy.
Boundless Bio fosters an inclusive company culture that values diverse talent, backgrounds, and experiences. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected categories.