Remote · United States · Canada
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2023
At BioRender, our mission is to accelerate the world’s ability to learn, discover and communicate science. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery and understanding. We're looking for amazing people to help create the world’s go-to-place and platform where science is communicated. Come join us!
We are actively seeking a full-time Technical Illustrator to join our mission-driven, fast-growing company to help scientists around the world create and share beautiful, professional scientific figures.
We're looking for a self-starter with a strong illustration portfolio who is eager to learn and grow professionally. You will develop high-quality science/technology-based graphics, figures and other science communication media relevant to scientists globally. Additionally, you will collaborate directly with scientists on high impact content projects and professional services. You will also provide support for our exciting app/product development as well as growth/marketing endeavors. All in all, you will help build the world’s best scientific content library alongside an award-winning biomedical illustration/design team (including alumni from Johns Hopkins, University of Toronto, National Geographic Magazine, and more).
You will be successful in this role if you have:
- Strong eye for aesthetics/design and visual communication trends: You enjoy producing clean, elegant illustrations and are dedicated to building a product that users love.
- Exceptional ability to manage competing deadlines and prioritize effectively: You thrive in a fast-paced environment and love working on a diverse array of projects that span cross-disciplinary teams.
- A detailed-oriented and user-focused approach: You are someone who is process-driven and enjoys optimizing workflows.
- Research and create clean, accurate, 2D vector-based, graphics across all domains of life sciences, with a special focus on graphics of technical objects/hardware scientists use in their research
- Manage and support multiple high-impact scientific creative projects in collaboration with other scientific illustrators and designers, as part of BioRender’s objective-driven cycles (set up meetings, keep track of project scope, follow through to ensure timely deliverable completions, etc.)
- Communicate with scientists and users on illustration needs, accuracy, and requested services
- Contribute to team reviews on illustration/design productions, to ensure team-wide quality and standards of visual content
- Collaborate with other teams (engineers, sales and marketing, product design, UI/UX etc.) to deliver a consistent and cohesive body of work
- Assess and identify opportunity areas for scientific content library expansion and growth as our platform and library grows in global reach
- Opportunity to grow vertically/laterally into senior or leadership roles, including senior technical illustrator, illustrator manager, creative operations, illustrations lead, and more!
What you bring to the table:
- Bachelors from an accredited Illustration program
- 2+ years of professional Technical Illustration experience
- Life science / Education background is preferred but not required
- Demonstrates a strong sense of visual design + composition skills (composing scientific diagrams and infographics is a plus)
- Strong draftsmanship, line work, sense of perspective, color, and composition
- Strong portfolio of technical illustration work
- Ability to execute production of high-quality vector images quickly and efficiently using illustration tools (like Adobe Illustrator)
- Ability to quickly research and understand a variety of subjects and topics and translate into clean, clear, didactic 2D images
- Team player with a strong interest to take on collaborative team projects
- Strong communication skills
What you can expect from our interview process:
- Introductory call: We will set up 30 minute recruiter screen with our Creative recruiter, during which you’ll have the opportunity to share more about your experience and interests. You’ll also learn more about BioRender and the team you’re interviewing with. Feel free to ask any questions throughout these calls!
- Practical interview: You’ll be completing an illustration test so we can see your skills in action and give you a realistic preview of some role responsibilities.
- Work history interview: This is a conversational interview with our Scientific Creative Manager, Jerry Gu. He will review your past work and educational experiences in chronological order: there’s no need to prepare much in advance, other than giving some thought to your past roles - what you did, who you worked with, high points and low points, etc.!
- Meet the team: Throughout our interview process, you can expect to meet with some of your potential colleagues as well as our CEO, Shiz.
Why Join Us?
- We are mission-driven, and work collaboratively towards our shared vision of improving scientific communication and accelerating scientific discovery: BioRender figures have appeared in more than 16,000 publications!
- It’s a product that users love! We have a world-class NPS and a community of loyal fans. Check out our Testimonials page to see what our customers are saying about us: https://biorender.com/testimonials/
- We are in the top quartile for profitability and year-over-year revenue growth, with users in 200+ countries.
- BioRender is an equal opportunity employer, and an inclusive hiring process and work environment is a part of our DNA.
- We’re remote-first and have team members across Canada and the United States. A physical office in Toronto is available, but you have the flexibility to work from anywhere.
- We’re backed by top investors, accelerators, and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs and philanthropists in the world including Y Combinator, Malala Fund founders, and Fifty Years VC.
- We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. Check out how we make sure our employees come first.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
You can read more about the BioRender interview process and FAQs here!