Backend Software Engineer, AI Product & Personalization (Senior / Staff)
Software Engineering, Product, Data Science
Remote · United States · Canada
Posted on Tuesday, October 3, 2023
At BioRender, our mission is to accelerate the world’s ability to learn, discover and communicate science. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery and understanding. We're looking for amazing people to help create the world’s go-to-place and platform where science is communicated. Come join us!
Come join our groundbreaking AI Product & Personalization Team at the forefront of innovation and technology, where your skills as a Senior Backend Software Engineer will be pivotal in enabling scientists to effortlessly create beautiful and effective figures.
Why Now? With our current figure-making product, we're already transforming the way scientists create figures, delivering exceptional results that our customers love. Despite our achievements, there's still untapped potential. The figure creation process remains manual and requires specialized design skills, and that's where you come in.
The Role: This is an ambitious challenge, and we're seeking a Backend Software Engineer with a passion for AI to establish the backend platform and data infrastructure for our cross-functional team. By joining us, you'll be at the forefront of applying AI to revolutionize BioRender's core product.
- Be a foundational member of a cross-functional team, working closely with product, design, data science, and science experts to achieve our mission.
- Build backend services and model data to power personalization, faster discovery of content, recommendations to make it faster for our users to create communication materials.
- Collaborate with our data science team to deploy models into production without compromising search speed.
- Conduct experiments and deploy multiple model variations as needed.
- Integrate with third-party systems like Algolia (search product) and work with creative team to enrich data sets.
- Contribute to process improvements, hiring/onboarding procedures, enhancing product quality, and optimizing our codebase for ease of use and flexibility.
- Successfully deliver substantial projects with a high level of quality, typically spanning 3 to 6 months.
Our ideal fit brings:
- A strong background in backend engineering, with a knack for creating high-performing APIs capable of handling high volumes, especially for search requests.
- Experience with large data sets and adept at managing data flow between online and offline systems, with related experience with data event streaming technologies like Kinesis, Kafka, Redpanda, Spark, Flink, etc.
- Functional knowledge of productionizing data science models, collaborating closely with data scientists for experimentation and validation.
- Expertise with NoSQL databases (like MongoDB), and cloud infrastructure (like AWS). A track record of designing systems that are simple, scalable, secure, and performant.
- Thrives on enhancing system maintainability for streamlined engagement by other engineers.
- Data platform background is a plus.
We typically expect candidates to have 5-10 years of experience to achieve these accomplishments. However, we recognize that career paths vary, and your unique journey may have equipped you with the necessary skills. If you believe you have what it takes to excel in this role, and are hungry to make a significant impact in the world of scientific illustration, we encourage you to apply!
Why join us?
- We are mission-driven, and work collaboratively towards our shared vision of improving scientific communication and accelerating scientific discovery: BioRender figures have appeared in more than 16,000 publications!
- It’s a product that users love! We have a world-class NPS and a community of loyal fans. Check out our Testimonials page to see what our customers are saying about us: https://biorender.com/testimonials/
- We are in the top quartile for profitability and year-over-year revenue growth, with users in 200+ countries.
- BioRender is an equal opportunity employer, and an inclusive hiring process and work environment is a part of our DNA.
- We’re remote-first and have team members across Canada and the United States. A physical office in Toronto is available, but you have the flexibility to work from anywhere.
- We’re backed by top investors, accelerators, and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs and philanthropists in the world including Y Combinator, Malala Fund founders, and Fifty Years VC.
- We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. Check out how we make sure our employees come first.
Check out our candidate resource - Engineering, Product & Design at BioRender!
You can also read more about the BioRender interview process and FAQs here!
Please note that in Canada, only those companies licensed by a provincial or territorial engineering regulator may refer to themselves as an “engineer” and therefore, this role will be titled "developer" internally at BioRender.