Data Science Leader
Remote · United States · Canada
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2023
At BioRender, our mission is to accelerate the world’s ability to learn, discover and communicate science. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery and understanding. We're looking for amazing people to help create the world’s go-to-place and platform where science is communicated. Come join us!
BioRender has revolutionized how 1.5M+ scientists communicate their research all over the world. The app provides personalized content and creative web-based tools to our users. These powerful tools enable scientists to create beautiful visualizations easily, easy-to-read posters for conferences, and informative slide show presentations, all while giving and receiving feedback in real-time.
BioRender is on a mission to accelerate the world’s ability to learn, discover and communicate science. This is a big, ambitious goal.
We’re looking for our first Data Science leader who’s passionate about accelerating our mission to join us on this journey. Our teams work closely with product managers, designers, and scientists to solve our customers' problems. We have more than a million scientists on our platform, creating millions of figures relating to their scientific work product.
As our first Data Science leader in a high-growth, at-scale startup environment, you’ll get to work on challenges across the product life cycle. The challenges range from launching new products to iterating and scaling on existing ones, identifying opportunities for leveraging modeling, and mining our rich datasets for original insight to direct our efforts towards the biggest opportunities.
Being our first Data Science leader, this is a great opportunity to leverage your experience into crafting what Data Science as a function means at BioRender for years to come, defining its charter, hiring the team, and working collaboratively with the senior leadership team to establish cross-functional partnerships.
- Establish the mission, vision, and strategy for Data Science at BioRender
- Work closely with your Product, Design, and UXR partners to deeply understand the user, the product problem space, and how data science can accelerate product advancements through meaningful insights generated from data analysis
- Work closely with our Growth and GTM stakeholders in pulling signal from noise which accounts for all of the ways this signal could be off. The signal should provide a high level of confidence in how certain levers can contribute to sustainable, scalable growth, and enable achieving meaningful business outcomes
- Build the dream team: identify the highest leverage opportunities to grow the team and hire additional data scientists with the highest need skill sets
- Identify, align stakeholders, and execute together with our Data Engineering team on appropriate opportunities to advance our product and business goals leveraging advanced Data Science techniques such as deploying recommendation engines or other NLP/modeling/machine learning applications
- Identify, align stakeholders, and execute together with our Core Product team on how might BioRender leverage recent advances in language and visual models in accelerating its product roadmap
Our ideal fit:
- Leadership experience in hiring, mentoring, and shaping Data Science as a function
- Ideally 2+ years of management experience (not required)
- 7+ years of Data Science experience, ideally 2+ years at the Principal level
- Successful track record in driving meaningful business and product outcomes through unique contributions that leverage Data Science techniques
- Developing, hiring, and onboarding A-player data scientists onto their organization
- Previous experience working on a large-scale web-based product, ideally in a product lead high growth environment
- PhD preferred, and at minimum Masters, with a formal education in statistics
- Strong Communication skills - draw information out of technical and non-technical sources and communicate them back at multiple levels
- Strong fluency in statistics fundamentals - fluent in data analysis techniques and understands WHY one technique is preferable to another in a given context
- Builder mindset - being early on in our journey, this role would require someone who is willing and able to “roll up sleeves” and work closely with our Data Engineering team to improve our data infrastructure alongside leveraging the infrastructure in their work.
Why join us?
- We are mission-driven and work hard to contribute to the greater good by helping improve scientific communication to accelerate scientific discovery
- It’s a product that users love! We have a legion of evangelical users. Check out our Testimonials page to see what our customers are saying about us.
- We’re remote-first and have team members across Canada and the United States. A physical office in Toronto is available, but you have the flexibility to work from anywhere in the Canada and United States.
- We are profitable and continue to grow revenue north of 100% year over year with users in 200+ countries.
- We’re backed by top investors, accelerators, and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs and philanthropists in the world including Y Combinator and Refactor.
- We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. Check out how we make sure our employees come first: https://biorender.com/careers/
Check out our candidate resource - Engineering, Product & Design at BioRender!
You can also read more about the BioRender interview process and FAQs here!
See more open positions at BioRender
Something looks off?