Engineering Leader (Platform)
United States · Canada · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, March 9, 2022
At BioRender, our mission is to accelerate the world’s ability to learn, discover and communicate science. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery and understanding. We're looking for amazing people to help create the world’s go-to-place and platform where science is communicated. Come join us!
BioRender has revolutionized how 1.5M+ scientists communicate their research all over the world. The app provides personalized content and creative web-based tools to our users. These powerful tools enable scientists to create beautiful visualizations easily, easy-to-read posters for conferences, and informative slide show presentations, all while giving and receiving feedback in real-time.
The Platform team is responsible for the scaling and availability of our core product & services and the developer toolchain that empowers engineers at BioRender to get their work done autonomously and efficiently. The mission is to establish the strategy and roadmap of the team and develop a team that can execute on it.
We’re hiring an Engineering Leader to lead, develop, and grow our Platform team in our mission to accelerate the world’s ability to communicate science.
Example projects you’ll lead:
- Scaling the company’s infrastructure to support orders of magnitude growth in user base
- Creating systems and standards for production observability and incident response/management
- Setting up the infrastructure for new services to support new product initiatives
- Improving our security posture to comply with best-in-class AWS security standards
- Cutting down the cycle time from PR to deploy in half by iterating on test/build/deploy pipelines
- Improving developer effectiveness by improving the day-to-day toolbox used by engineers to ship code
- Drive the strategy, roadmap, and priorities for the engineering platform across the company
- Manage, support, and grow a team of 5-10 engineers on the Platform Engineering team
- Cultivate a supportive and positive engineering culture where the team is empowered to do their best work
- Set the team up for success by working with developers on their personal objectives and creating personal development plans
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to become the point of contact for all things related to the infrastructure
Our ideal fit:
- 2+ years of experience managing a high-output engineering team
- Deep technical, hands on experience in infrastructure as code, developer tooling and code pipelines
- Successful track record of leading a team that have scaled large infrastructure systems with demanding security requirements, several AWS services, and had to handle downtime, monitoring, alerting, and testing
- Demonstrated ability to creatively solve complex architectural problems, and think about tradeoffs in systems design, performance and cost
- Successful at establishing processes or introducing tools that enable your team to move significantly faster
- Collaborating successfully with recruiting to build a team of high-performing developers
Why join us?
- We are mission-driven and work hard to contribute to the greater good by helping improve scientific communication to accelerate scientific discovery
- It’s a product that users love! We have a legion of evangelical users. Check out our Testimonials page to see what our customers are saying about us.
- We’re remote-first and have team members across Canada and the United States. A physical office in Toronto is available, but you have the flexibility to work from anywhere in the Canada and United States.
- We are profitable and continue to grow revenue north of 100% year over year with users in 200+ countries.
- We’re backed by top investors, accelerators, and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs and philanthropists in the world including Y Combinator and Refactor.
- We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. Check out how we make sure our employees come first: https://biorender.com/careers/
Check out our candidate resource - Engineering, Product & Design at BioRender!
You can also read more about the BioRender interview process and FAQs here!
See more open positions at BioRender
Something looks off?