Software Engineer, Infrastructure (High Seniority)
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Benchling's data infrastructure and computation platform powers high-scale work at the world's leading biotech companies. Our infrastructure team works with application teams in a DevOps model to help them run and operate their services. We build service tooling so that engineers can build, release, maintain and monitor their code with minimal attention to the scaffolding. We maintain the overall architecture of Benchling and build new cross-service capabilities to support new teams and needs. We ensure the system is secure, performant, and reliable by default, and advise and assist application teams in doing the same for their areas of responsibility.
In this role, you'll use your tried experience to design and build the systems underlying Benchling's services and applications. We are looking to you to lead and guide the development of core capabilities so that we won't need to rebuild them again years later. Your work will ensure the agility, performance, reliability, and security of Benchling. You will work alongside other infrastructure-focused peers and teams. You'll collaborate with former Stripe, Google, and Facebook engineers to build our platform's highly reliable yet constantly evolving backbone.
As a Senior Staff or Architect-level Engineer, you will work closely with our senior engineering and technical leaders to lead the most significant infrastructure projects at Benchling. This role will be hands-on; we expect you to design and implement systems and write code. Core areas of impact will include:
- Improving the reliability of Benchling systems at scale
- Shepherding Benchling into a multi-services world
- Defining and leading processes for site reliability that will be used across Engineering and Customer Experience
- Defining and leading processes for disaster recovery
- Defining and implementing our infrastructural security posture
- Designing release procedures for regulatory environments
- Mentoring other engineers and being a significant multiplier across the team
- 12+ years of experience as a DevOps engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, or Software Engineer building platform infrastructure.
- Have 5+ years of experience with building and operating SaaS products hosted in a public cloud
- Have shipped and maintained a horizontally scaled stateful service in a public cloud for a large set of customers
- Have led a large migration (e.g., from monolith to multi-services) or led the refactoring or replacement of a large hosted service
- Are deeply familiar with micro-services architecture and can design distributed systems using managed Kubernetes (e.g., AWS's EKS), a service mesh (e.g., istio), and a distributed secrets store (e.g., Hashicorp Vault)
- Have experience with deployment and configuration management frameworks such as Terraform, Ansible, or Chef; CI/CD systems such as BuildKite or Jenkins; and containers and container management systems such as Kubernetes or Amazon ECS.
- Write clear, well-tested code in Python, Java, Go, or Ruby.
- Have a bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
PAST AND NEAR-FUTURE PROJECTS
These are examples of projects we've worked on in the past or may work on in the near future - our projects are often changing, but this will hopefully give you an idea of the work to be done.
- Iterating on our tenancy model and architecture to build out resource isolation, data segmentation, and deployment models as we scale our customer base.
- Improving network performance for global users: this is an open-ended problem that needs to be solved as our user base becomes increasingly international.
- Observability: mature our monitoring, tracing, and alerting systems, so we have the right dashboards, notifications, and tools to quickly identify and resolve operational issues.
- Automating remediation of fault conditions to improve overall reliability and eliminate repetitive operational tasks.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $204,415 to $276,562.
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous and flexible vacation
- Company-wide Summer and Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
#LI-MD1 #LI-Hybrid #BI-Hybrid
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.