Software Engineer, Full Stack (Data Input)
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Benchling is seeking a Software Engineer to join our Data Input team within the App Foundations pillar. At Benchling, we’re on a mission to accelerate the pace of life sciences research. To do that, we build a suite of tools that scientists use daily to solve humanity's most pressing problems. To achieve our mission, the Data Input team exists to help our users get their crucial scientific data into our platform easier & quicker. Our goal is to streamline Data Input so scientists can focus on science. We own core product functionality like tables, forms & more, which over 90% of Benchling customers use!
As a Software Engineer on this team, you’ll help us engineer core products that get our user's data into Benchling. You’ll also work on & lead key product initiatives that are crucial to the company’s success alongside peer teams, across the organization. You’ll build into both our Excel-like tables, that allow creating new entities, recording and publishing experiment results, & recording transfers, and our forms, which allow scientists to design completely custom forms that enable our users to easily capture data into Benchling at the lab bench & remotely in the field. Besides key, user-facing product areas, we’re striving to build a platform of extensible, reusable data input components for use internally, across Benchling.
- Own large-scale projects end-to-end, from ideation with cross-functional partners, through to rollout to end-users.
- Build across our stack, from designing and implementing backend models & APIs to crafting rich frontend components and architecture.
- Collaborate closely with product managers, designers, marketing, and other teams to build the best product possible for our users.
- Build entirely net-new products, while also investing in taking existing products to feature completeness.
- Be a core team member, mentoring engineers on the team, while also leading technical & architectural discussions among engineers inside & outside the team.
- Architect a platform of Data Input components, to build once, and leverage many times over, throughout Benchling.
Check out our engineering blog for some examples of what we work on at Benchling.
- You have 4+ years of experience in software engineering.
- Build software with a product-first approach. You ship code quickly and care about the real world impact of your code.
- Expertise developing both backend & user-facing experiences in a web application.
- Experience leading large, sophisticated, long-term initiatives, while also breaking down this work into smaller, iterative projects.
- Enjoy a high-degree of ownership in key pieces of product.
- Are interested in learning more about life science (prior knowledge is not required; desire to learn is a must).
- Willing to work onsite in our SF office 3 days a week.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is: $157,250 to $212,750
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous and flexible vacation
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.