Software Engineer, Data Platform
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
As one of Benchling’s Data Platform engineers, you’ll join a rapidly growing, premier engineering team and form the foundation of our data pillar, encompassing customer-facing data products, internal analytics, and the customer-facing data warehouse. You will build the next generation of our Data Platform services that enables internal developers to easily build multi-tenant data applications and analytical products. Benchling is growing really quickly, and you’ll be setting the bar for high quality data and a metrics-driven culture as we scale. You’ll serve as a key input and thought leader, and work closely with the product teams to deliver data driven capabilities to our internal and external customers.
- Build & operate high throughput distributed messaging platform like Kafka/kinesis to enable data change capture and data integration across Benchling.
- Build next generation warehouse and compute platform with scalable SQL & API access for internal and external customers
- Build DSL & schema registry for internal and external customers to build custom data model. Develop Async data migrations over billions of records with zero-downtime while maintaining our data integrity guarantees.
- Define and design data transformations and pipelines for cross-functional datasets, while ensuring that data integrity and data privacy are first-class concerns regarded proactively, instead of reactively.
- Define the right Service Level Objectives for the batch & streaming pipelines, and optimize their performance.
- Designing and creating CI/CD pipelines for platform provisioning, full lifecycle management. Building the platform control panel to operate the fleet of systems efficiently.
- Work closely with the team across Application and Platform to establish best practices around usage of our data platform.
- Have 7+ years of experience or a proven track record in software engineering
- Experience with data analytics and warehouse solutions such as Snowflake, Delta Lake, AWS Redshift, etc
- Experience with data processing technologies Kafka, Kinesis, Spark, Flink, or other open-source or commercial software
- Experience in schema design, SQL & Schema registry
- Strong experience with scripting language (such as Python)
- Experience with deployment and configuration management frameworks such as Terraform, Ansible, or Chef and container management systems such as Kubernetes or Amazon ECS.
- Driven by creating positive impact for our customers and Benchling's business, and ultimately accelerating the pace of research in the Life Sciences
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term
- Strong communicator with both words and data - you understand what it takes to go from raw data to something a human understands
- Willing to work onsite in our SF office 3 days a week.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $177,735 to $240,465.
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous and flexible vacation
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.
Something looks off?