Engineering Leader, Application Foundations
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Benchling is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead the Data Input team within the App Foundations pillar. Benchling is on a mission to accelerate the pace of life sciences research and development. To do that, we build a suite of tools that scientists use daily to solve humanity's most pressing problems. The tools we build must be optimized to make scientists more efficient in their work, across a broad spectrum of research, development, and manufacturing tasks. This is where the Data Input team comes in.
The Data Input team exists to build a platform and user experiences to help lab operators more efficiently perform their work. They do this by introducing new “scientifically aware” data models and enabling Benchling customers to connect these together in ways that uniquely represent their work. The team develops the tooling that enables scientists to input, transform, and propagate their laboratory data downstream. We focus on both the user experience of scientists working in the lab as well as the ability of other software developers to integrate the components we create into their applications.
This is a new team at Benchling, which is working on both greenfield development and is supporting applications which over 90% of Benchling customers use. This role is ideal for managers who have a track record of creating leverage beyond just their own team by building reusable components.
- Recruit, develop, and lead a team of exceptional product engineers.
- Partner closely with product and design to define roadmap and long-term product strategy.
- Hold an unreasonably high bar for product quality as the teams execute their work.
- Partner closely with engineers on each team to ensure that we make excellent technical decisions as we lay the foundations for these new products.
- Meet with customers to understand their science & what they need from Benchling.
- Contribute to engineering-wide organizational improvements as part of the management team.
- 2+ years of experience as an engineering manager.
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer, with experience as a technical lead on projects that involve multiple engineers across multiple quarters
- Experience building cloud-based web applications, ideally on both the front- and back-end
- Grown high-trajectory, early-to-mid-career engineers into leaders with company-wide impact.
- Experience (and enjoy!) working directly with customers to inform your team's roadmap.
- A track record of working with cross-functional partners in product, design, sales, and marketing.
- Strong writing skills.
- Interest in biotech!
- Willing to work onsite in our San Francisco office 3 days a week.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $186,575.00 to $277,610.00.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous and flexible vacation
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
#LI-KW1 #LI-Hybrid #BI-Hybrid
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.
Something looks off?