Software Engineer, Schemas
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Schemas is a key leverage-point for both our internal Application teams and external customers, simultaneously underpinning most of the company’s work but ripe for re-architecture. As a leader on this team, you should be passionate about the team’s execution, balancing individual output alongside fostering a culture of accountability and execution excellence. You will partner with teams across Platform and Applications to ensure we’re solving the right problems and making the right tradeoffs between leverage and time-to-value.
- Design and build foundational domain modeling primitives – such as inheritance support, performant uniqueness constraints or filterable fields – so that customers can model their concepts in high fidelity. This enables our customers to configure Benchling for their particular use-cases, making the scientist/operator experience feel tailored and seamless.
- Re-architect the Schemas system so customers can iterate on their domain model at scale, reliably offering async data migrations over billions of records with zero-downtime while maintaining our data integrity guarantees. As customers’ science evolves, they need the ability to evolve their domain models accordingly and at any data scale.
- Rethink how Application teams build on top of the Schemas platform, driving down the engineering effort required from multiple months to 2 weeks. Given Benchling’s large and rapidly growing product surface area, Schemas is a unique leverage point for internal engineering velocity and interoperability.
- Lead team-wide or project-specific rituals, helping the team deliver on commitments and contributing to a culture of execution excellence.
- Thrive in a collaborative and diverse environment involving different stakeholders and experts.
- 8+ years of experience as a software engineer, ideally 3+of those within a Platform team.
- Experience and active interest in leading team execution rituals, such as a Sprint planning/retros and standups.
- Proven track record of planning, leading and delivering multi-quarter, multi-person projects, all the while leading the project management and necessary stakeholder communications.
- Eagerness to dive into deep technical complexity and “repair the ship while we fly it.”
- Willing to work onsite in our SF office 3 days a week.
Nice to haves:
- Experience developing type systems, DSLs or custom storage engines.
- Exposure to Avro Schemas Registry, Salesforce Custom Objects, or similar concepts.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location.
Zone 1: $177,735 - $240,465
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous and flexible vacation
- Company-wide Summer and Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
#LI-DB1 #BI-Hybrid #LI-Hybrid
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.
Something looks off?