Staff Scientist, Chemistry
The successful candidate will work closely within a multifaceted team composed of experienced pharma and biotech veterans along with pioneers in artificial intelligence at Atomic AI. This position will be on site at Atomic AI amid the cultural excitement and scientific vibrancy in the very epicenter of San Francisco’s flourishing, evolving and challenging biopharmaceutical industry. The successful candidate will manage the chemistry activities of research projects, and will work hands on with Atomic AI team members on solving scientific problems across chemistry and the other disciplines necessary to advance successful drug candidates. They will communicate closely with the CEO, CSO, biology head, other leaders, scientists and consultants in Atomic AI as well as external line function partners.
The successful candidate will be a proven medicinal chemist with a track record of advancing small molecules from discovery to safety assessment studies, to clinical candidate IND selection. The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of organic chemistry synthesis and experience in modern multi-parameter medicinal chemistry drug discovery. An openness to new ideas is imperative along with a combination of curiosity and excitement to work with a multi-disciplinary team including computer scientists is required. Experience managing small to large chemistry teams at a CRO is required. A strong working understanding of ADME/DMPK and analysis in drug discovery is required.
- Directs and executes medicinal chemistry objectives, including the development of effective chemistry strategies to address key project objectives and provide effective solutions for medicinal and synthetic chemistry issues to enable the discovery of development candidates.
- Works collaboratively side by side with Atomic AI’s computational and artificial intelligence teams in hypothesis driven design, and selection of small molecules for synthesis, SAR analysis, and progression for biological evaluation.
- Manages Chemistry, ADME, and DMPK CRO resource(s).
- Solves synthetic and medicinal chemistry problems.
- Communicates effectively across managerial and drug discovery matrix of disciplines who participates as an engaged member of a highly interactive and multidisciplinary drug discovery team, contributing scientific knowledge and intellectual leadership across projects.
- Supports projects by supplying competitive landscape, collaborative opportunities, and technologies.
- Leads by example with research integrity and work ethic.
- Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry with 8+ years of relevant medicinal chemistry drug discovery experience.
- Extensive working knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry, modern medicinal chemistry, and drug discovery techniques.
- Demonstrated experience managing scientific collaborations and CRO outsourcing activities.
- Demonstrated experience leading and/or participation on multiple early discovery projects to successful IND clinical candidate selection.
- Demonstrated patent record, including leading/writing chemistry sections of patent applications.
- Structure Based Drug Design experience is a plus.
- Creative, out-of-box thinker, and a “do-er”.
- Excellent written, verbal, communication, and interpersonal skills to work within a team setting and easy to get along with.
Your level and salary will be based on your skills, knowledge and experience. Base salary is just one component of Atomic AI’s competitive total rewards strategy.
Salary Range: $190,000/year to $210,000/year + equity + benefits
Atomic AI is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, disability, or veteran status.