(Senior) Scientist, RNA Biology
Atomic AI, Inc. is a well-funded, early-stage biotech company transforming the rational design of molecules and medicines through the cutting-edge fusion of artificial intelligence and structural biology. Atomic’s unique R&D platform, based on research featured on the cover of Science (doi.org/10.1126/science.abe5650), provides new strategies to treat or cure previously undruggable diseases by targeting RNA structure. We are an interdisciplinary team working across computational and experimental biology and believe that our strongest asset is our people.
As a full-time Scientist or Senior Scientist in the Bioscience team, you will advance our platform for the identification and validation of functional RNA targets for drug discovery. Using your deep understanding of mammalian RNA regulation, you will establish cell-based assays to discover small molecules that reverse disease states by modulating RNA expression. As an early employee, you will proactively shape the scientific and strategic vision of the company.
At Atomic AI, you will be an execution-focused self-starter with a passion for scientific research and a positive attitude when facing challenges. You will prioritize effectively amidst complexity, adapt nimbly to changing conditions, and grow outside of your comfort zone. You will collaborate thoughtfully and promote the success of all team members.
- Establish cell models of human diseases and identify and validate mRNA domains that regulate processing, splicing, translation, or stability in these models.
- Develop and implement cell-based medium- and high-throughput screens to discover small molecules that regulate mRNA expression.
- Coordinate with and manage CROs on the execution of screens.
- Recruit, mentor, and oversee research associates.
- Analyze, interpret, and organize data, and clearly document and communicate research outcomes to colleagues.
- Work within a collaborative, high-caliber, interdisciplinary team.
- Ph.D. in Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, or related field.
- Deep understanding of mammalian RNA regulation mechanisms.
- Experience developing cell models for disease and excellent cell culture skills for a variety of mammalian cell types, including iPSCs and primary cells.
- Experience with assays for RNA and protein quantitation from cells, such as RT-qPCR, ddPCR, ELISA, or AlphaLISA, and their use in medium- and high-throughput screens.
- Experience with transient and stable transfection and with mammalian genome engineering, such as using CRISPR, lentivirus, or baculovirus.
- Familiar with concepts and methods in early drug discovery.
- Mature in scientific thinking and rigorous in recording methodologies and results.
- Excellent presentation and writing skills, able to clearly communicate technical information to colleagues.
- 3+ years of relevant industry or post-doctoral research experience.
- Proficient in data analysis using Python (or similar language) and common bioinformatics tools.
- Familiar with experimental and computational techniques used to measure, model, and analyze RNA structure.
Atomic AI is considering applicants at multiple levels for this role. Your level and salary will be based on your skills, knowledge and experience. Base salary is just one component of Atomic AI’s competitive total rewards strategy.
- Scientist: $125,000/year to $145,000/year + equity + benefits
- Senior Scientist: $145,000/year to $190,000/year + equity + benefits
Atomic AI is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, disability, or veteran status.