Senior Lab Operations Manager (23093-B-650-ReOp)
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 4, 2023
ArsenalBio, a privately held, clinical-stage programmable cell therapy company engineering advanced CAR T therapies for solid tumors, is seeking a talented Senior Lab Operations Manager to work onsite based in our South San Francisco office. This position may be required to be on-call off hours and on weekends to support business needs.
ArsenalBio’s mission is to develop efficacious and safe cellular therapies for patients with chronic diseases, initially cancer. With our programmable and computationally driven approach, our team is engineering living medicines to attack cancer’s inherent multi-faceted nature and overcome the challenges of addressing solid tumors with cell therapy.
Driven by a collective of diverse experts across immunology, synthetic biology, molecular biology, automation and computational biology, we are united in purpose to deliver radical breakthroughs for people with cancer, and prioritize the team’s outcomes over individual goals to achieve our company mission – together.
This hands-on role is responsible for the overall daily operations in our R&D laboratories including vendor management, equipment maintenance requirements, and new equipment orders. As a critical point of contact for lab personnel, the Laboratory Manager will field service requests, triage and assign tasks, lead training events, and foster a culture of safety and compliance. They will oversee lab organization, lab storage, space allocation and waste management. They will work with appropriate departments on the development of necessary SOPs for safety compliance, training, equipment maintenance, calibration, and repair. They will work closely with procurement and the lab teams on CAPEX / OPEX budgeting and ordering of lab assets and service contracts. They will support lab asset inductions into CMMS, installations in lab spaces, and oversight of any qualification / validation verification activities. They will provide feedback on lab efficiency, operations, and policies as well as recommendations on any necessary changes or improvement.
This role will be instrumental in ensuring our facilities and lab operations department and laboratories are ready for growth with ’s current and projected product pipelines. This department enables the labs to run efficiently and the scientists to focus on delivering their respective pipelines. This role will own this department’s transformational journey including centralizing lab operations, standardizing common services, consolidating supplies, and implementation of lean lab techniques (e.g., 5S, Kanban, visual management). A successful candidate is well organized, flexible, creative and enjoys the challenges of managing a diverse and energetic office space.
What You Will Do:
- Establish and maintain an infrastructure to enable a structured laboratory operation framework across labs including capital plan/expenditures (from forecast to installation), lab equipment and instrumentation (i.e., contracts, maintenance, repair, calibration, upgrade and retiring)
- Partner with EHS to ensure that safety takes priority and develop procedures and processes to make sure our labs and employees are operating safely at all times
- Work with EH&S Manager to manage EH&S programs at the site to include, but not limited to, Incident Management, Ergonomics, Exposure Risk Assessments, Chemical Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Biosafety Management, Respiratory Protection, Hearing Conservation and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), etc.
- Work with EH&S Manager to ensure the site is compliant with all environmental and safety regulations, including Federal, State and/or City regulations
- Provide strategic direction, technical supervision, and support to the lab operations team who supports day-to-day operations. Lead operational performance reviews and establish business / individual objectives.
- Drive improvements in service level, efficiency and cost reduction through standardization of common practices, implementation lean lab techniques and utilization of metrics. Create a platform to share ideas within the lab operations team and with clients including the application of best practices. Establish relationships and service standards and coverage to meet lab-based personnel’s needs.
- Establish and own a laboratory business continuity plan as well as extended-hours coverage and response plan.
- Build and improve relationships with partners (i.e., Research Associates, Scientists) and key functions within (i.e., Project Management, Procurement, Legal, Accounts Payable) through proactive engagement and communication.
- Accountable for overall delivery and performance across lab operations.
- In Collaboration with lab leadership, proactively identify and resolve risks/issues.
- Responsible for developing and executing a strategy for servicing laboratories, including equipment and instrumentation, scheduling, and lab capacity utilization.
- Establish relationships and service standards and coverage to meet lab-based personnel’s needs.
- Support the development, budgeting, and execution of a three (3) year capital project plan.
- Establish common practices to obtain quotes, submit contract for legal review, place orders, prepare for location set-up (Preparation of bench space, request IT support on computer and network, request Facilities support on utilities), manage equipment delivery, installation, and set-up for use.
- Manage and prioritize inputs from diverse stakeholders to deploy operating plans that meet the needs of the business.
- Proficiency planning and managing small projects.
- Actively participate in space planning and reorganization
- Coordinate lab user onboarding and offboarding
- Assist the Equipment Team with coordination of equipment repairs and maintenance
- Manage lab inspections and ensure compliance with local and state guidelines
What Will You Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering related discipline
- 8+ years of progressive experience in operational leadership in R&D and GMP/GLP laboratory, biotechnology or pharmaceutical environment
- 3+ years of proven success leading teams of lab operations staff and vendors
- Proven track record in managing and scaling lab operations
- Understand laboratory supply streams, waste streams, and have experience working in an R&D and GMP and GLP laboratory environment
- Is known for being highly customer service oriented and has a track record of anticipating the needs of all customers, including bench scientists
- Demonstrated drive, curiosity, scientific rigor, and excellent problem-solving skills across a fast-paced performance driven environment
- Ability to operate effectively at both an operational and strategic level
- Ability to constructively challenge, improve and develop lab operations practices and processes
- Self-motivated with the proven ability to take ownership and deliver results in an environment with ambiguity and change
- Strong knowledge of laboratory EHS compliance laws and industrial hygiene regulations
- Knowledge of clinical and/or public health microbiology and general lab practices
- Knowledge and skill in the application of physical containment requirements for safely working with biohazardous material
- Experience working with bloodborne pathogens in BSL2 labs
- Skillful at driving, managing and maintaining change
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize as needed in a start-up environment
What We Will Offer You:
An opportunity to work with the best talent in the field of cell therapy, and be part of ONE TEAM to advance therapies to patients who need it most.
ArsenalBio has a generous and comprehensive benefits package that includes but is not limited to medical, dental, and vision as well as mental health resources, virtual and telehealth options, coaching, infertility treatment, parental leave and health savings accounts. We also offer flexible work schedules and flexible time off, which includes two extra “Arsenal Days of Rest” every quarter for employees to recharge.
We have a robust mentorship program, and comprehensive development tools to help employees take control of their career paths and grow into their best selves. ArsenalBio believes in investing in the well-being of our employees - both at work and at home, as they are our greatest asset. They bring scientific talents in molecular biology, immunology, pharmacology, protein chemistry, computational biology, automation, genome engineering, software and other fields to make the future happen now.
We are committed to hiring the best talent from diverse backgrounds. A diverse workforce engenders richness of thought, creativity and discovery. We invite individuals who embrace intellectual achievement to bring their unique personal and professional journeys and together we will build transformative cell therapies for cancer patients.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The estimated base salary offer for the preferred primary location of San Francisco Bay area ranges from $144,700 – $177,200. Salary ranges for other locations may vary from this range. Base pay offered may vary depending on job related knowledge, experience, education, and location. In addition to these factors, we believe in the importance of pay equity and consider internal equity of our current employees as part of any final offer.
To all recruitment agencies: ArsenalBio does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, or ArsenalBio employees. ArsenalBio is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.