Molecular Biology Scientist (Scientist II to Principal Scientist)
About our Company
Appia Bio is a preclinical stage biotech company founded in 2020 with the mission to bring innovative off-the-shelf cell therapies to cancer patients. Our novel platform can generate a broad array of allogeneic NKT and T cell types and can be engineered to address challenges in tumor microenvironments. Our goal is to discover and develop allogeneic cell therapies across a broad array of cancer indications with a scalability that increases access for patients.
Our research programs are rooted in leveraging T cell biology to generate NKT and T cell subtypes from hematopoietic stem cells. The scientific foundation of Appia Bio is underpinned by collaborative research led by Lili Yang (UCLA), David Baltimore (Caltech), and Pin Wang (USC), and further advised by a stellar scientific advisory board. The management team brings decades of experience in R&D, Technical Operations and business in the biotech industry.
About the Role
We are seeking a creative and driven Scientist ready to take on the challenge and opportunity presented by the frontiers of creating novel engineered cell therapies. This role will lead the Molecular Biology group at Appia Bio and be responsible for collaborating with project teams to generate and deliver critical gene expression plasmids and lentivirus preparations, as well as to develop strategies to enhance transgene delivery and expression to bring enhanced functionality to therapeutic candidates. The Scientist II will join a culture of intellectual rigor and collegiality that has been built at Appia.
- In close collaboration with the project team leads, devise and counsel on cloning strategy for new constructs required to advance the pipeline forward
- Manage Research Associates responsible for molecular cloning and lentiviral vector preparation for the Research group
- Independently manage and execute on core Molecular Biology research projects, such as expression optimization of multi-ORFs transgenic cassettes, or gene downregulation (shRNA or gRNA)
- Manage collaboration with external CROs related to molecular cloning and transgene expression optimization
- Contribute ideas to help solve technical and biological challenges across the Research organization
- Operate and continue to develop the Molecular Biology function with high scientific rigor, teamwork, and innovation.
- Develop strong cross-functional relationships and communicate effectively with peers, the executive staff, and other key stakeholders
We are seeking an accomplished scientist with a proven track record in academia and/or industry to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology or a related field, with at least 3 years of post-graduate research experience.
- The successful candidate must have extensive hands-on experience with molecular cloning, preferably in the context of retroviral or lentiviral gene delivery systems
- Managerial attributes required to oversee a team of two Research Associates
- Evidence of creativity & rigorous problem-solving abilities
- Track record of academic and/or industry excellence with clear evidence of success, including first author research publications in high caliber journals, conference talks, achievement of drug discovery milestones
- Deep knowledge and keen intellect for integrating novel science and emerging technologies in the context of complex molecular biology
- Highly motivated self-starter with strong presence, work ethic, and focus
- Previous experience with generation of high titer lentiviral vectors is a plus
- Experience in CAR-T cell or NK cell therapy or related fields would be a plus
Final compensation for the successful candidate is determined by various factors, including educational credentials and relevant job or industry experience. The advertised pay range is indicative and generally applicable to candidates meeting the job description's criteria. In line with our commitment to fairness and competitive compensation, we will consider your unique skill set and overall profile. Additionally, we offer a comprehensive benefits program designed to meet your individual needs.
Culver City Pay Range
$104,000 — $201,600 USD
Competitive Compensation Packages | Cost Sharing for Health Insurance Premiums | Flexible Work Environment | Untracked PTO | 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan Match | Life Insurance & Disability| Awesome Culture | Challenging & Fulfilling Work | Equity Options | and more
Appia Bio requires COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. As required by applicable law, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodations.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Appia Bio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.