Staff Machine Learning Engineer
Absci is a generative AI drug creation company on a mission to create better biologics for patients, faster. We are the company unlocking the design of new antibodies on a computer from scratch, and we’re just getting started. It will take a state-of-the-art wet lab, artificial Intelligence, and above all else a team of brilliant Unlimiters working together to achieve our vision of breakthrough therapeutics at the click of a button, for everyone. We are gritty, creative, and we are pushing the limits of science in a way that no one has done before because that’s how we will save lives. Join us as we redefine what’s possible.
Absci is a global company with a state-of-the-art lab and headquarters in the beautiful Pacific Northwest US, ten minutes from Portland, Oregon, and just an hour away from world-class alpines and rugged Pacific coastlines. Check out this short video to learn more and see how #Unlimiters are creating drugs at the speed of AI: absci.com/joinus
Staff+ Machine Learning Engineer
Remote or hybrid work within the United States, Canada, Serbia, or Switzerland, with offices in Vancouver, WA, New York City, NY, Belgrade, Serbia, and Zug, Switzerland.
We are currently seeking a driven and highly experienced Staff+ Machine Learning Engineer to join our AI Engineering & Infrastructure team. You will play a significant role in designing and building Absci’s hybrid cloud systems for ML training and inference at production scale with high reliability.
You will leverage your background and understanding of software engineering, infrastructure, and ML/AI in order to enable Absci to leverage generative AI to design better therapeutic drugs.
This position requires strategic thinking and a high level of collaboration across multi-disciplinary teams within Absci. You work with a sense of urgency and thrive in a dynamic team and high-performance culture. Your passion for driving initiatives and ability to work autonomously will make you very successful in this role. You will work closely with a small interdisciplinary team of AI/ML researchers, software engineers, and protein scientists to construct systems that allow us to generate and validate new therapeutic protein-based drugs for treating issues like cancer, autoimmune diseases, and infectious diseases. Your work will directly make a positive impact on patients' lives.
Responsibilities: The following responsibilities are for Staff+ Machine Learning Engineer.
- Act as a technical lead & architect for our hybrid cloud systems that are responsible for production scale model training and inference. Your workflows support AI systems generating amino acid sequences, 3D protein structures, or both.
- Work with interdisciplinary teams of lab scientists, program managers, AI scientists, and AI engineers to build consensus and define achievable but ambitious product roadmaps.
- You will be a foundational engineer setting and implementing our strategy to deliver on our near-term objectives while setting us up for long-term future success by actively managing any technical debt that comes up along the way.
- You will be a force multiplier for the team by being a subject matter expert in software engineering and machine learning. You will mentor and coach less experienced engineers on the team to improve the whole department.
- You will enable the team to collaborate efficiently, execute on our product roadmap at a high-quality bar, and drive best practices and technical excellence across the AI group. You will play a pivotal role in shaping the engineering culture at Absci.
- 7 - 15 years of experience designing and building production-grade software solutions
- 5+ years of experience working on ML/AI Systems
- 3+ years of experience building high-performing engineering teams as an IC leader, manager, or both
- Proven track record of creating an engineering vision and executing it by delivering high-impact work
- Proven track record of fostering high-performing teams and upleveling those around you by coaching and mentoring less experienced engineers on the team
- Experience building ML/AI systems within the Python ecosystem in the cloud, on-premises, or hybrid
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Preferred (but not required):
- Experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industries
- Experience with generative AI (GenAI), NLP, or computer vision, large language models (LLMs), or protein language models
- Experience with large-scale multi-node training on bare metal HPC GPU clusters or in AWS
- Experience with large-scale protein ML models like AlphaFold, ESMFold, or RFdiffusion
- Experience in computational protein design, bioinformatics, computational genomics, immunology, structural biology, antibody engineering, or related fields
- Experience with NGS, SPR, or Flow Cytometry data
- Experience managing software engineering teams or desire to learn
The salary range for US-based employees in this position is $200,000 - $250,000/year. Competitive equity package applies. Pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. In addition to equity, compensation packages include a wide range of medical, dental, vision benefits and ability to participate in our employee stock purchase plan.
Absci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental, vision insurance, unlimited vacation, parental leave, breakfast and lunch for onsite employees, employee assistance program, voluntary life and disability insurance, annual bonus potential, and 401(k) with a generous company match.
We seek candidates who will dive into our creative company culture that’s collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to a big vision for positive impact. We are defying conventions and innovating without boundaries. We are disrupting an industry with bold ideas and passionate pursuit of new possibilities. We are looking for original thinkers, creative scientists, and data-devoted gurus. Successful candidates will be excited to work in a dynamic environment and contribute as a key member of a project team. If this sounds good to you, we invite you to join us in our quest to redefine possible.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. Absci is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Absci will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Absci offers a dog-friendly work environment - bring your pup along for the ride.