Senior AI Research Scientist
Absci is a generative AI drug creation company on a mission to create better biologics for patients, faster. We are the company unlocking the design of new antibodies on a computer from scratch, and we’re just getting started. It will take a state-of-the-art wet lab, artificial Intelligence, and above all else a team of brilliant Unlimiters working together to achieve our vision of breakthrough therapeutics at the click of a button, for everyone. We are gritty, creative, and we are pushing the limits of science in a way that no one has done before because that’s how we will save lives. Join us as we redefine what’s possible.
Absci is a global company with a state-of-the-art lab and headquarters in the beautiful Pacific Northwest US, ten minutes from Portland, Oregon, and just an hour away from world-class alpines and rugged Pacific coastlines. Check out this short video to learn more and see how #Unlimiters are creating drugs at the speed of AI: absci.com/joinus
We are seeking a Senior AI Research Scientist to join our world-class Artificial Intelligence (AI) team and advance generative models for protein drug design.
As a Senior Research Scientist, you will use state-of-the-art generative AI and deep learning to lead innovative research projects to support our drug discovery campaigns.
We are looking for people who can draw on significant expertise in deep learning or related disciplines such as natural language processing, protein design, and computer vision, to develop innovative models that can learn from and generate new proteins.
This position can be Remote, Hybrid or Onsite in New York, NY, or Vancouver, WA.
- Formulate scientific questions, initiate and lead technical projects based on those questions
- Design new machine learning algorithms and experiments, take responsibility for technical roadmap and current/future major design choices
- Rapidly prototype new ideas and quickly assess the promise of novel modeling directions
- Be considered a technical leader in AI, communicate expertise and the status of AI models to senior leadership and assist in strategic decision making in drug discovery campaigns
- Interface and communicate technical concepts in AI to biology experts and program managers involved in designing wet lab experiments to validate AI models
- Publish your work to top conferences and journals
- Mentor and guide junior scientists and assist in their career development
- Ph.D in machine learning or equivalent practical experience
- 3-5 years of experience leading teams shipping production-grade AI models, or driving major academic research projects with significant scope
- Strong publication record in top machine learning journals and conferences
- Proven track record of contributing to a large PyTorch codebase with significant complexity
- Experience with transformer-based architectures and diffusion models
- Demonstrated ability to serve in a leadership role, having led teams that developed successful AI products or highly influential research or open source AI software
- Passionate about solving difficult problems in drug discovery!
Preferred (but not required):
- Experience in bioinformatics, structural biology, antibody / biologics engineering
- Experience with large-scale multi-node training on an HPC GPU cluster
- Experience working with large-scale protein design models such as AlphaFold2, ESMFold, RFDiffusion, etc.
- Experience with large language models (LLMs) and/or protein language models
- Expertise in graph neural networks and geometric/3D deep learning
- Expertise in multimodal learning
The salary range for this position is $220,000 - $284,000/year. Competitive equity package applies. Pay offered may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience, with an emphasis in machine learning, engineering, and modeling expertise.
Absci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental, vision insurance, unlimited vacation, parental leave, breakfast and lunch for onsite employees, employee assistance program, voluntary life and disability insurance, annual bonus potential, possible stock options upon Board approval, and 401(k) with a generous company match.
We seek candidates who will dive into our creative company culture that’s collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to a big vision for positive impact. We are defying conventions and innovating without boundaries. We are disrupting an industry with bold ideas and passionate pursuit of new possibilities. We are looking for original thinkers, creative scientists, and data-devoted gurus. Successful candidates will be excited to work in a dynamic environment and contribute as a key member of a project team. If this sounds good to you, we invite you to join us in our quest to redefine possible.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. Absci is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Absci will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Absci offers a dog-friendly work environment - bring your pup along for the ride.