VP, Intellectual Property
Absci is a generative AI drug creation company on a mission to create better biologics for patients, faster. We are the company unlocking the design of new antibodies on a computer from scratch, and we’re just getting started. It will take a state-of-the-art wet lab, artificial Intelligence, and above all else a team of brilliant Unlimiters working together to achieve our vision of breakthrough therapeutics at the click of a button, for everyone. We are gritty, creative, and we are pushing the limits of science in a way that no one has done before because that’s how we will save lives. Join us as we redefine what’s possible.
Absci is a global company with a state-of-the-art lab and headquarters in the beautiful Pacific Northwest US, ten minutes from Portland, Oregon, and just an hour away from world-class alpines and rugged Pacific coastlines. Check out this short video to learn more and see how #Unlimiters are creating drugs at the speed of AI: absci.com/joinus
VP, Intellectual Property
Vice President, Intellectual Property (VP ,IP) is responsible for leading and executing against the strategy for our intellectual property (IP) globally, including counseling management and colleagues on the legal implications of all corporate and business activities, developing and implementing legal strategies, leading a small team, and managing services provided by outside counsel. The individual serves as a member of the Chief Legal Officer’s leadership team.
VP, IP must be willing to work with a sense of urgency and thrive in a dynamic team and high-performance culture. Passion for driving initiatives, and achieving the impossible!
- Provide strategic counsel regarding the competitive IP landscape for the company’s current product portfolio and future technology plans, and develop strategies to protect Absci’s IP rights worldwide (patents, trade secrets, trademarks)
- Collaborate closely with Innovation and business development teams in implementing the company’s pipeline growth and long-term commercialization strategies, such that IP considerations are taken into account
- Attend presentations by Absci’s Innovation teams to identify protectable IP.
- Prepare and prosecute (or oversee outside counsel in prosecuting) worldwide patent applications, and conduct patentability and freedom to operate assessments
- Lead IP due diligence, IP review and IP agreement negotiation in support of Company’s business development activities
- Monitor, identify and report on IP policies, trends, and positions being taken by governments, opinion leaders, regulatory agencies that could affect Absci’s IP positioning
- Coordinating litigation with outside IP counsel as necessary
- Plan and manage budget proposals and approved budgets in accordance with the Company’s strategic and operating plans and Finance policies
- Perform some patent prosecution including patent drafting and in-person Examiner interviews
- Perform some freedom-to-operate analysis
- Act as point person for in-house questions relating to IP, such as analysis of IP components of in-licenses
- Attend professional conferences such as Continuing Legal Education seminars
- BS/MS/PhD in life sciences, including biology (preferred), biochemistry or other technical degree relevant to biotechnology is requires (advanced degree strongly preferred) and Patent Bar Examination required.
- Registered Patent Attorney with minimum 10 years patent counsel experience in a law firm and/or in the biotech industry.
- Experience in drafting and prosecuting patent assets, due diligence, transactions and licensing.
Preferred (but not required):
- Senior Associate/Counsel, or Partner in law firm; or Senior Patent Counsel/VP IP in the biotech industry.
The salary range for this position is $275,000 - $315,000/year. Competitive equity package applies. Pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. In addition to equity, compensation packages include a wide range of medical, dental, vision benefits and ability to participate in our employee stock purchase plan.
Absci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental, vision insurance, unlimited vacation, parental leave, breakfast and lunch for onsite employees, employee assistance program, voluntary life and disability insurance, annual bonus potential, and 401(k) with a generous company match.
We seek candidates who will dive into our creative company culture that’s collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to a big vision for positive impact. We are defying conventions and innovating without boundaries. We are disrupting an industry with bold ideas and passionate pursuit of new possibilities. We are looking for original thinkers, creative scientists, and data-devoted gurus. Successful candidates will be excited to work in a dynamic environment and contribute as a key member of a project team. If this sounds good to you, we invite you to join us in our quest to redefine possible.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. Absci is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Absci will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Absci offers a dog-friendly work environment - bring your pup along for the ride.
Something looks off?