Senior Scientist, Antibody Engineering
Absci is a generative AI drug creation company on a mission to create better biologics for patients, faster. We are the company unlocking the design of new antibodies on a computer from scratch, and we’re just getting started. It will take a state-of-the-art wet lab, artificial Intelligence, and above all else a team of brilliant Unlimiters working together to achieve our vision of breakthrough therapeutics at the click of a button, for everyone. We are gritty, creative, and we are pushing the limits of science in a way that no one has done before because that’s how we will save lives. Join us as we redefine what’s possible.
Absci is a global company with a state-of-the-art lab and headquarters in the beautiful Pacific Northwest US, ten minutes from Portland, Oregon, and just an hour away from world-class alpines and rugged Pacific coastlines. Check out this short video to learn more and see how #Unlimiters are creating drugs at the speed of AI: absci.com/joinus
Senior Scientist I/II, Antibody Engineering- Structural Biology and Biophysics
We are currently seeking a highly experienced, and motivated Senior Scientist to join our Antibody Engineering and Biophysics Team within the Drug Creation Department at Absci. As a Senior Scientist you will thrive as part of a vibrant, dynamic and world-class team, with a high-performance culture, using artificial intelligence (AI) approaches and advanced generative models for antibody drug creation. You will play a significant role in leading and designing approaches for antibody library generation, structural characterization of antigens and epitopes, antibody Fc engineering, in silico immunogenicity analysis and in vitro wetlab immunogenicity assay development.
You will leverage your background and understanding of antibody structure and function, protein biophysics, structural biology, and immunology in order to support Absci’s generative (AI) antibody discovery initiates, while creating innovative and high-throughput screening approaches for antibody engineering and characterization.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in structural-based protein design and a proven track record in leading and executing research projects. This role will be instrumental in driving the development and implementation of innovative protein engineering solutions to address currently unmet needs in the market.
- Lead and manage antibody engineering projects, including the design and biophysical characterization of novel AI-designed lead candidates.
- Utilize structural-based protein design techniques to optimize protein stability, affinity, specificity, and functionality for various applications, including developability assessment.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Artificial Intelligence, Analytical Development, Bioassays, and Bioinformatics Teams to spearhead drug creation initiatives for multiple projects.
- Utilize deep understanding of structural biology, principles in protein structure and function for coordinated informed strategic decisions on epitope-specific antibody drug creation with Artificial Intelligence.
- Strategic in silico structural characterization of soluble and membrane protein targets for epitope analysis and validation.
- Serve as a thought leader for experimental strategies in protein and antibody engineering.
- Contribute and evaluate new ideas in protein-based drug discovery and therapeutic strategy, and drive projects from idea conception through proof-of-concept.
- Develop and implement in silico approaches and high-throughput screening strategies for Fc engineering to modulate Fc receptor functions.
- Work closely with Artificial Intelligence, and Bioinformatics Teams to develop in silico methods for predicting immunogenicity and developability properties of therapeutic antibody leads.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior scientists and research associates.
- Present research findings and project updates to internal teams and external collaborators.
- Contribute to the preparation of patents, publications, and grant applications.
- Stay current on relevant scientific literature and industry trends to drive innovation in protein engineering.
- PhD with 5+ years, MS with 8+ years in Biophysics, Structural Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Immunology or related field.
- Deep understanding of the structure and function of antibodies and principles used for therapeutic antibody engineering, such as antibody library design, Fc engineering, humanization.
- Experience using large structural repositories such as the Protein data bank (PDB), The Structural Antibody Database (SabDab), and AlphaFold Server.
- Experience with protein computational modelling, structural analysis and visualization software such as Rosetta, Discovery Studio, PyMol, VMD, Chimera, RasMol, Crystal Studio.
- Experience with biophysical antibody characterization techniques such as surface plasmon resonance (SPR), biolayer interferometry (BLI), dynamic light scattering (DLS).
- Antibody affinity purification methods
- Hands-on experience establishing high-throughput workflows and analyzing complex datasets.
- Demonstrated track record of working on teams cross-functionally to exceed goals.
Preferred (but not required):
- Previous hands-on experience with protein engineering methods, such as library construction, display methods (e.g., phage)or structure-guided rational design, preferably in a therapeutic setting, is highly desired.
- Experience with applying computational approaches to protein engineering and NGS datasets, with proficiency in programming (e.g., R, python) is a plus
- Experience in immunology is a plus
- Experience with in silico protein structure prediction is desired.
The salary range for this position is $120,000 - $165,000/year. Competitive equity package applies. Pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. In addition to equity, compensation packages include a wide range of medical, dental, vision benefits and ability to participate in our employee stock purchase plan.
Absci offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical, dental, vision insurance, unlimited vacation, parental leave, breakfast and lunch for onsite employees, employee assistance program, voluntary life and disability insurance, annual bonus potential, and 401(k) with a generous company match.
We seek candidates who will dive into our creative company culture that’s collaborative, multidisciplinary, and committed to a big vision for positive impact. We are defying conventions and innovating without boundaries. We are disrupting an industry with bold ideas and passionate pursuit of new possibilities. We are looking for original thinkers, creative scientists, and data-devoted gurus. Successful candidates will be excited to work in a dynamic environment and contribute as a key member of a project team. If this sounds good to you, we invite you to join us in our quest to redefine possible.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. Absci is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Absci will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Absci offers a dog-friendly work environment - bring your pup along for the ride.
Something looks off?