Senior Scientist, Downstream Process Development (CMC)
AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of computation, engineering, and biology, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of how drugs are discovered with a discovery platform that integrates modern technologies from engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science. With over 400 AbCellerites and growing, we’re expanding our capabilities to include CMC development and GMP manufacturing of antibodies to bring therapies from idea to patients, faster.
As a part of our newly created CMC organization, you will support our new process development platform from the ground up, all while leveraging cutting-edge technologies. You will be part of a team with an audacious goal: to go from discovery to fill-finish in a year.
As the Senior Scientist, you will be responsible for driving development and optimization of clinical & commercial manufacturing processes for the purification of antibodies. You will also be responsible for leadership in antibody purification, including designing, planning and executing experiments, either independently or in collaboration with teammates.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are an innovator and ready to help new approaches to the discovery and development of therapeutics
- You have a strong desire to support early antibody discovery work by developing ways to improve and speed up the discovery to CMC development to GMP manufacturing paradigm
- You are ready to revolutionize therapeutic development and move at lightning speed to create a legacy in our industry
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate
- You are highly motivated and excited about the opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
How you might spend your days:
- Using your experience in scale-up (AKTA Pilot) and/or scale-down processes to aid CMC development work
- Establishing and optimizing protocols for antibody purification/downstream processing operations, including high throughput and bench-scale production
- Engaging with multiple teams to build optimal solutions for challenges in antibody purification and production, including developing process steps to clear impurities and maximize product yield
- Benchmark specific technologies in your own functional area to bring technology to state of the art
- Solving complex problems through analytical thinking to identify and understand alternatives using knowledge gained through formal education, experience and sound judgment
- Training, mentoring, and supervising members of a dynamic team
- Liaising with CMC team members and other partners, communicating project updates and deliverables
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures
- Organizing, supporting, and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
Required qualifications and experience:
- M.Sc/B.Sc and 8+, or Ph.D. with 6+ years of relevant work experience in downstream process development within a biotech or pharmaceutical
- Experience with different purification techniques such as chromatography and tangential flow filtration (TFF) and associated instrumentation such as AKTA chromatography systems and Unicorn software
- Experience with bioanalytical assays associated with purification processes, such as SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, HPLC, etc.
- Demonstrated innovative thinking to devise strategies to optimize purification processes
- Experience developing processes for robustness, scale-up and CMC progression is desired
- Superb oral and written communication skills, including presentation of complex data
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional teams
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
What we offer
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Something looks off?