Research Scientist - Functional Biology
AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a highly motivated, independent Research Scientist to generate data to answer key biological questions for the Translational Biology team. This scientist will build and test biological models and systems to increase confidence in the relevance of multiple targets so we can help our partners move faster and with less risk to the clinic. This lab-based position is a great opportunity to establish complex functional assays that will help identify lead antibodies for ultimate clinical development. Through close collaboration across the company the scientist will identify the best antibodies for the program. We need someone who has a passion for immuno-oncology and how to treat these diseases. This role offers the exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s top biotech companies, while growing with a team that believes in collaboration, innovation, and mutual support.
How you might spend your days:
- Evaluating available preclinical and clinical data sets to build testable biological hypotheses for immunology targets and then preclinically assessing those hypotheses
- Designing, running, and interpreting complex biological experiments to increase confidence in biological mechanisms for Immunology targets
- Training and mentoring more junior scientists
- Supporting and collaborating with members from various teams to generate and interpret data, and meet project deliverables and timelines
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures
- Preparing and presenting data at team meetings
- Growing your technical skill set and engaging in professional development
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are strongly self-motivated and work independently to identify project needs and follow that up with building and implementing solutions
- You can contribute to building data sets that help to predict the success of therapies across a variety of immunology and oncology patients by designing experiments that test the biological mechanisms of key targets. This effort ultimately helps our programs move faster and more successfully.
- You thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment with multiple competing priorities
- You are excited about contributing to and building a team that works on complicated biological questions
- You take pride in being a self-motivated person, fast learner, team player, and creative problem solver
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, or other relevant fields or MSc with 5+ years in an academic or industry wet lab environment
- Demonstrated understanding of and experienced with assay development of complex functional assays, including use of primary cells, and antibodies
- Strong immunological background
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team
- Excellent oral and written communication and problem solving skills
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Experience in techniques including flow cytometry, primary cell isolation, ELISA, reporter cell assays and in vitro assays focused on immune cells
- A good understanding of antibodies structure and function
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please send us your application through our website and refer to Job ID 220097 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications, and will only contact those who are selected for an interview.
Something looks off?